Baby keeps on dying

jlopes

Last week I finally finished my T5 conversion and was taking the pony out for a test drive. I drove for about 5 miles when she sputtered and died.

Since my gas gauge was not working I thought I ran out of gas so I put 5 gallons into her tank, a cup into the carb and away we went.....

Yesterday I was at our club meeting and on the way home the same thing happened. There is no way I went through 5 gallons of gas, but got my son to go to the gas station across the street, put some more gas in the tank, however this time she would only run a couple of seconds. I would pour more gas down the carb, she would fire and again only run a couple of seconds. As long as I was pouring gas in the carb she would run. So I parked it at a local used car lot and got a drive home. Luckily it was not sold or stolen over night so I towed it home today. (we really need to teach our kids how to tow a car. Even though I told my 19 year old son to take it easy he pulled me along at 50 mile/hour, which I must say is quite exciting when the SUV is only 10 feet in front of the mustang. :shock: )

Anyways... what could cause this?

I figure it is one of the following:
1 - fuel pump is dead
2 - carb line filter is clogged
3 - fuel pump filter is clogged.
4 - blocked fuel line.

Any other suggestion before I start taking things apart?

I think the easiest way of following the gas problem is disconnect the gas line from teh carb and put the line in a cup or better a bucket, see if it's pumping when you crank the engine, that way if it doesn't you can work backwards, otherwise you know it's forward... it's a great place to start. it could also be the float in the carb, but unlikely.

LOL, next time have him in the mustang and you tell him that he needs to stop you from running red lights, when my flex fan bit my radiator my dad towed me home and stoping a 2.5 ton 12 passanger van with only 4 drums 10 feet away was scary!! but that line NEVER got slack, oh and the brakes needed adjusting afterwards.

edit: oh I just remembered, My dad's car didn't have a gas tank tube to pick up the gas in the bottom of the tank, so it had to have 16gallons in it minimum, plus the other 8 gallons... it was a PITA draining all that gas... IDK if these mustang have the same "tube" pick up inside the gas tank, maybe someone else can confirm...

sounds like a fuel problem and could be anything that you listed. also could be vapor lock if it only does it while the engine is hot, if you still have the problem when it cools down I would guess the fuel pump. you can get a fuel pressure test gauge at your local auto parts.

Back