What are the parts I need on front of crank and cam?

Anlushac11

1K+
VIP
Getting ready to install the timing cover but I recall someone saying there is supposed to be a oil slinger on front of crank and something else that I thought went on cam?

Where can I get oil slinger and other piece?

I may be wrong, but if you are talking about the cam - isn't it a retainer plate and possibly a thin engineered washer?

But - these would be fitted to the camshaft before pressing the sprocket on...

For the crank - there's a slinger which was deleted on later models, also the Woodruff key. You can use the new damper to centralise the timing chest, no need for the key to be fitted unless you also want to check the damper markings.

Be gentle when fitting the cover/damper, as people have dislodged the garter spring in the oil seal from harsh treatment. Lube it all up well to minimise the risk.

I found a article that says you cant run oil slinger and double roller timing chain together so wont be running slinger.

Thanks for tip on balancer and oil seal.

The oil slinger will not work with the double roller timing chain & is not needed regardless of chain used.
The modern timing cover seal is more than adequate to seal the front damper at the front seal.

The camshaft requires a spacer between the front camshaft journal & the dowel pin which is pressed into the snout of the camshaft.

Next there is a thrust plate melling # MF-108 which bolts to the block.

Then the timing gear is bolted onto the camshaft. If the camshaft will not turn & has no endplay then you either did not install the spacer or you did not install the spacer with the beveled ID toward the front journal.

Hope this helps.

I just installed my new cam and double roller timing set and nothing would turn after I tightened it up. Thanks to this thread I figured out where the little spacer goes and found it still installed on the old cam. I originally thought I had misplaced it but didn't remember seeing it during the initial tear down. Thank goodness I hadn't tossed out the old cam.

Anlushac11":38m0r3s3 said:
I found a article that says you
cant run oil slinger and double roller timing chain together
so wont be running slinger.

Thanks for tip on balancer and oil seal.

Thank you Anlushac11 for the heads up
..I did not know that...

Back