My reworked D7 head from CI

lorwood

Got the following email from Mike regarding the head I sent for rebuild and conversion

Should be ready on Sunday. If so I'll get it boxed up and ready for shipping.
We did things a little different on yours, which makes the conversion much better. Wait till you see it.
Instead of milling and filling in with putty, he had them build it up with furnace brazing, which is much stronger.
Looks great..... I plan to take pics for the website before I box It up. Then offer it as an option (more money).

Can't wait to see it. Gotta love CI they are always looking at ways to improve our six's! :beer:

Yeah, Mike does things right. When he was modifying my Oz head (largest valves possible to put in), he worked with the machine shop to add material around the cooling passages to make sure it wouldn't crack.

We usually use a putty filler to build up the log, but this time my head porter decided to try furnace brazing. While the putty is very strong and should last for the life of the head, furnace brazing is much stronger and the proper way to do it. Unfortunately he doesn't have the equipment needed (furnace), so he takes them to a local diesel repair shop, which charges $150. In comparison, the putty cost around $25, so that's a difference of $125 just for the brazing. Keep in mind, either way it still needs to be surfaced and hogged out on a mill. He also goes back in and touches it up by hand. I imagine most will go with the filler simply because it's cheaper, but we're going to offer this as an option for those who prefer furnace brazing.

conv1.jpg

conv2.jpg

conv6.jpg

Nice thorough job, there. Good to see furnace brazing prices on the southern side of $500, too.

I'll probably charge $150 so I can give an extra $25 to my machinist. After all, he has to make two trips to the shop (one to drop it off, and one to pick it up), which is about 20 miles away, plus pay for gas. Not to mention the wear and tear on his truck, even if it is a chevy.... LOL

This diesel shop is really good at brazing, welding, and making repairs. I had them fix an OZ head several years ago for one of my customers. He was told by several machine shops that the head was only good for a boat anchor, since it was cracked in three places. Then he called me..... The shop charged $525, but that was cheaper than buying another OZ head and having it shipped over, plus they guaranteed the work. As far as I know, it's still cranking out HP. I've had them fix numeous heads over the past few years, and I've always been pleased with the workmanship. The pics don't do this head justice, as it really looks great. Well worth the extra money in my opinion.

I went for the brazing option as well and looking forward to getting many miles from it!

1.75" bore, Performance port option, large valves, CC & equalized and hardened seats. That and 255 pistions ought to wake up my 250.

Back