Pertronix Advice

ford_jake

Looking to install a pertronix on my 200, just want to know if I should buy there coil too, and wires? or is stock coil good enough? Any advice or reccomendations would be appreciated. Thanks

Stock coil is fine but the 12v Blaster coil is better. Your choice on the wires. Newer, high capacity wires do make a difference. You want to change the plug wires periodically anyway, like at tune up time.

when I first got my car it came with pertronix, I was getting 14mpg for the first year then did 3 upgrades

changed my c4 to a T5 (irelevant in your question)
changed my 1904 holley carb to 1100 carb with SCV (again irrelevant)
got a 40k coil... (getting to the point hang on)

I have one reading before the coil with my tranny and carb it was 18mpg, then the coil and got 20~21 since.
again it's one single reading, but it shows an increase in mpg. so I think it's worth it, but with only one run with the old 10k stock coil to compare the countless 20+ readings I've had since, I'll let you deside.

My car stock 200 with C4 was getting 20 mpg highway. I put in a pertronix conversion with their coil, a 4cyl. T-5, 3:20 rear, headers, ported the head , machined in oversize valves, true dual exhaust. I now get 28 mpg highway on regular gas. Don't know how much is from the pertronix alone since all was done about the same time but it is nice not to fool with the points periodically. Haven't touched the distributor for six years.

Thanks for the advice, i might as well spend 40 more and get the coil, I have new wires so im set there, thanks again, is there anything special i need to know on the wiring or does someone have a diagram?

Wiring diagrams come with it. When I installed my Pertronix I with the matching coil, I opened the spark plug gap to .045 also. Has been running flawlessly now for over 6 years.

Fred

what Pertronix are you installing ? I II III

do you plan future upgrades to your motor
if you do do dont spend the money on the wrong ignition
and spend again to up grade later on

Just in case someone is confused, Blaster is MSD's line of coils. I believe pertronix is Flamethrower. I have a blaster because thats what was in stock at my local store but if I was ordering a pertronix I would likely just order their coil also. I doubt you will really see any difference in any of the 'performance' coils for most applications.

The 1 has been around forever and seems to have a good rep for reliability. I did read mixed things about the 2 especially when it first came out. Have not heard anything about the 3 which seems odd since its been out a couple years now.

I have a Blaster2 coil with my ds2 setup. Working flawlessly so far.
Found a good deal on ebay. I think I paid $40 with shipping to Canada, that's real good. :nod:

I'm still running the flamethrower I got when I installed P1. Still running strong, though I do have a DS2 ignition now. The pertronix 1 is a nice and simple system.

Just follow the directions carefully and make sure you install it properly. I used pertronix on three boat engines including their coil with no problems.

Back