1100 Throttle Plate Shaft Leak-Old Topic-Revived

I understand your points, but as I mentioned, I did this exact repair to a 1100 throttle shaft - with **thinner** bushings than in the weber choke shaft, I just did not take any pics and I sold off the 1100 carb a few years after doing this repair when I finally got around to installing the Weber. Because I have multiple drills and reamers, I may have used the next size up drill bit or a reamer to "round" out the hole prior to installing bushings - from experience, I have learned that the higher the speed when I drill the more round the hole (and while my drill press is a marginal Sears unit, it does spin up to 6,000 or so - based on the drill size, I guess that I actually drilled the casting at about 3000). My concern has always been cracking the casting with too large of a press fit on the bushings although with a thin wall, they tend to collapse (shrink in ID) when they are pressed in.

On a couple of occasions I have had a stuck accelerator - either by floor mats or by carb linkage binding. My thought is that there is a risk of the throttle shaft binding if it is not perfectly straight and that is where I would have concerns w/ building it up. Since this is being done to a scrap part, you are not risking much.

If this works out (building up the shaft) to your satisfaction, please report back & pictures would be nice - always willing to learn a new trick (and I already have some silver solder on hand ;) ).

I was able to fix the same problem on another model carb using teflon tape. I wrapped just enough around the shaft to take up the slop and slid it back in. Held up for a very long time.

I took my 1100 to a carb repair shop and they recommended leaving it alone. They said that the little amount of play in it would not cause any problems and I would be able to make up for any little vacuum leak it was creating with the idle mixture screw. He said most carbs will leak fuel from the shaft when you pump the gas with the engine not running. Any thoughts?

Russ":3bas8xyt said:
I was able to fix the same problem on another model carb using teflon tape. I wrapped just enough around the shaft to take up the slop and slid it back in. Held up for a very long time.

I like that idea!!!

Junior64":208oybfa said:
I took my 1100 to a carb repair shop and they recommended leaving it alone. They said that the little amount of play in it would not cause any problems and I would be able to make up for any little vacuum leak it was creating with the idle mixture screw. He said most carbs will leak fuel from the shaft when you pump the gas with the engine not running. Any thoughts?

That's probably true, too.

I got my carbs back from my buddy. He measured a difference of .005 between the shaft and bore of both wobbly carbs. He decided to cut some .002 brass sheet to wrap around the shafts inside the bores... he called it a shim, but it's doing the work of a bushing! If I had known it would be that easy, I would've done it! So that's almost like the teflon tape idea!!! I think it will work fine, required no machining... awesome. I don't have pics, and if I did, it would be hard to see. They sell brass sheets in different thicknesses, probably in letter-sized sheets. The last time I used this stuff, it was to snug a lower shock around a non-factory shock bolt, and it took the rattle-clunk away.

Back