Harmonic balancer question / replacement

mcthirsty

The 200 I have came out of a wrecked '66 mustang. It has a 2-row pulley on the crank. Something smashed into the pulley in the wreck and the front pulley actually bent backwards and is smashed against the second pulley, which I believe is actually the balancer. Can I just unbolt this damaged front pulley and still have the balancer work correctly? I only need 1 pulley.

Does anyone know which direction I turn the main bolt in the crank to loosen it? Just want to make sure it isn't threaded opposite of normal. I'm guessing I'd need an impact wrench to get that loose?

Thanks!

There should be 3 bolts holding it onto the rear balancer. But, I would take both off and check to see if there is any additional damage. You may have damage further back involving the crank and timing chain area as well. This happened to me as well and i found the timing chain gear was split into 2 parts but for some miraculous reason, it still held enough for the engine to run.

I've had the oil pan off, so looked at the gear & chain and looked like new. The engine runs, but I can tell that balancer isn't working right with the pulley mashed against it.

I see the 3 bolts, but looks like I also need to remove the main bolt that holds the whole assembly into the crank. Is that bolt threaded normally or backwards?

I also wonder if the main crank bolt needs to be removed to remove the pulleys. It does look like the 3 bolts will need to be removed but did not know for sure if the main crank bolt needs to be removed also.I want to remove the spare pulley that is not being used and keep the single pulley that drives the pump and alternator.

You must remove the centre bolt; it overlaps the damper by about 3/32 on its washer periphery. If you can, use shock to loosen it - can you borrow a cordless impact driver?

Well I got it off. Soaked the bolt down with some penetrating oil and a few whacks with a breaker bar and 3 lb sledge and it broke free. Pretty easy actually :roll:

Back