some suggestions needed for exhaust

Positively Ralf

Gonna go and redo the exhaust I got on my Mav about three years ago. I need some suggestions on what kind of muffler\ehaust combo to use to try to keep it as quiet as possible. It's finally gotten on my nerves that I hear more of the motor than the radio.

So anyway, some suggestions on muffler choice is greatly appreciated and would also like to know if a straight pipe would be the best idea for now since I have no headers.

I'd go with a muffler designed for cars with large displacement engines, something like a Dynomax super turbo (P/N 17749) and also a resonator to be sure. This setup will flow more than enough for your car and still be extremely quiet, quieter than stock.

I did two things to make my exhaust note more tolerable yet still have a little throat.

I swapped out the Flowmaster 50s for generic turbo mufflers. I also added sound deadener to all the floors, including the trunk. The combo of the two made the exhaust note inside the car nice while retaining some 'meat' to the sound behind the car. At highway speeds, with the combo of the T5 it's hardly audible inside the car, top up or down. Gone also was the flowmaster drone.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Went to the local parts store and picked up abrand new Dynomax Super Turbo for $108. Gonna arrive tomorrow early in the morning.

Now here's a question, what size resonator should I get? The owner showed me one for a 2 inch exhaust. Should I go along with the 2 inch for an almost stock engine? Or should I go along with the 2 1/4 inch pipe and resonator?

If you have a stock 200 than 2 inch should be good if you have a 250 you could go with a 2 or a 2 1/4.

Hey Ralf,

Just to push some questions out there, your sig states it's a "74 mav in stock form, upgrades coming soon"
Can you elaborate on upgrades??? and to what? (engine/drive train/rear axel/tires/brakes??) also as asked before what size engine do you have?

If your thinking about the internals that's fine, but if you eventually plan on having a header I'd recommend to plan for that.

2 inch is great I think, the 2.25 or 2.5 get deeper. Maybe the resonator before the muffler will help on quieting it down.

Good Luck
Richard

MPGmustang":fxx37prs said:
Hey Ralf,

Just to push some questions out there, your sig states it's a "74 mav in stock form, upgrades coming soon"
Can you elaborate on upgrades??? and to what? (engine/drive train/rear axel/tires/brakes??) also as asked before what size engine do you have?

If your thinking about the internals that's fine, but if you eventually plan on having a header I'd recommend to plan for that.

2 inch is great I think, the 2.25 or 2.5 get deeper. Maybe the resonator before the muffler will help on quieting it down.

Good Luck
Richard

Well, I guess I really man engine upgrades. I've owned the car for close to three years now and I've done disc brake upgrades and right now I've taken it to my mechanic to have a suspension kit put on it as well as looking at one of the brakes which has been making some sort of clicking and clacking sound I can't resolve.

As for the header, I will really have to look into it now since I've noticed that even though I replaced the rusted out and bladly leaking exhaust, I can still smell some exhaust hitting my face sometimes. I read on here that a header will prevent this so it's something I will look into soon.

as for the engine, it's a stock 74 200 with a carter RBS which I will try to rebuild soon. no real upgrades yet since like I've said, I just wanted to make sure everything is fine on the safety parts first. This is my ever car not to mention the first older car I've ever had a chance to drive and own. I just want to make sure I'm safe first. Although I am looking for a later head to send on over to classic inlines next summer while I still learn more about my Mav and what makes it function.

Cheers!

Back