Partial upgrade now or wait ??

jlopes":1ccsfdy8 said:
I have enough for the following:
Spintech muffler

The sound of the spintechs on the six sounds really good, Best choice.Maybe a little biased but, I Love mine.

jlopes":2kxj35ey said:
Here is the plan for the engine:
CI Head and Intake Manifold. Street/strip port
I wish I could, Very Jealous
CI Headers
Nice upgrade, you thinking true dual or a x-pipe in there?
Autolite 4100 1.08 carb
Don't know much aobut 4bbl... maybe it's the same as my 1bbl-x4!
zero deck block
new pistons
What compresion ratio are you aiming for? IIRC, high CR helps mpg and HP, IDK what low CR would do except give the oportunity to use a blower :eek:
arp bolts
(y)
cam : 1.08 lob separation, not sure on the profile yet. I am more interested in bottom end torque than top end.
what ever it is, advancing the cam an extra 2* will lower the rpm range of the cam as mentioned
rocker arm: 1.6 ratio: don't know whether to do roller tip or not
the 1.6 rockers will give a .480 lift on the .450 cams, be careful on lift and don't go over .500, that's when the valve will hit the piston
double roller timing chain
helps in adding advance, and it's a great precaution.
Is there anything I am missing?
what size valves? because of the CI head, you can run the largest he has to offer :mrgreen: 1.84 intake and 1.56 exhaust :D
More Air in lower RPM's help torque, and bigger valves give more air
Springs, you'll need some stronger ones

This sounds like a great build, the extra torque will keep you in decent mpg (y)

MPGmustang":uf97t0c2 said:
...what size valves? because of the CI head, you can run the largest he has to offer :mrgreen: 1.84 intake and 1.56 exhaust :D
More Air in lower RPM's help torque, and bigger valves give more air...

Bigger isn't always better. From what I've read, using intake valves that are larger than necessary can make the air/fuel charge travel slower at lower RPM's and hurt low-end torque.

Bigger isn't always better. From what I've read, using intake valves that are larger than necessary can make the air/fuel charge travel slower at lower RPM's and hurt low-end torque.

Thanks for the heads up... I will definitely ask Mike from Classic what is the best cam, valve size and other specifics for what I want. I will probably shoot for a high CR, for the amount I drive the mustang I don't mind buying premium gas.

Some of the questions cannot be answered until I pull the engine...
Maybe I should get another block so I can drive the car while the engine is being rebuilt. I plan on doing most of the work myself so having another block will allow me to take my time. What do 200 block go for now a days?

:unsure: Funny, the planning and building is almost exciting as driving.

...Maybe I should get another block so I can drive the car while the engine is being rebuilt. I plan on doing most of the work myself so having another block will allow me to take my time. What do 200 block go for now a days?

Funny, the planning and building i :nod: s almost exciting as driving.

If you need to use the car than yes get another block to build, as to price they can range from free to about $200 for compleate core.

Installing a cam, however, revealed all of the inherent weaknesses in my worn out engine. I could never get it to run right and the old rings took a dump on me.

Would you think installing the 1.6 rockers arms without the new cam cause problems? Just me a little more umpf until I save enough the the Al head and bottom end rebuild.

Would you think installing the 1.6 rockers arms without the new cam cause problems? Just me a little more umpf until I save enough the the Al head and bottom end rebuild.

It won't cause any problems :shock: though if it will help you much is also another question :unsure:

Whats the best muffler configuration? I was at a car show this weekend and the majority of the mustangs were offset in and center out, however they were all V8's.

Whats the best muffler configuration? I was at a car show this weekend and the majority of the mustangs were offset in and center out, however they were all V8's.

In my opinion a center in and center out is best (y) doubt it makes all that much differance though and the offsets are msybe done to make it al fit in a small area. :unsure:

bubba22349":1ixoh3wd said:

It won't cause any problems :shock: though if it will help you much is also another question :unsure:

Well, I imagine if you do the header, exhaust, ignition, and some sort of carb upgrade then yes, the rockers will be worth a few ponies and a couple hundred rpm at the high end. Just slapping them on a totally stock engine would be pointless, though.

Back