Do I need sealant with a metal head gasket?

michael_cini

I bought a couple of metal head gaskets off of another forum user awhile back. I will be installing the head and exhaust tomorrow. I have never used a metal shim gasket before, is there any sealant needed?
Thanks.
Michael

Chee-knee,

Unlike composite gasket where sealant can be an option, the steel shim gasket does require a sealant. Aircraft sealant, permatex and similar are often used. I've had good success with steel shim on the 10:1 CR 170 wit NAPA Copper Spray on gasket. I hang gasket on a wire and apply af ew coats before installing.

Good for exhaust manifold as well.

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail ... 0006406066

Have Fun

100_2003.jpg

I didn't want to go out and buy another can of stuff and had some Permatex orange stuff in the tube.
So I coated both sides of the gasket with a very thin layer using a scraper, rather than putting beads of sealant.

A couple thousand miles and it seems to be holding well.

:) Speaking of sealant.Does anybody remember the "Indian Head" brand of copper sealant?
That goes back a few years.Worked pretty darn good too.Kinda messy at times,what with the applicator brush that was attached to the lid of the can.
Leo

I still use its competitor, Permatex #3, for some things like rear end cover gaskets.

K&W Copper Coat. Spray it on both sides of the steel shim gasket.

Follow direction on the can, works great. Falcon Man

thanks guys. i purchased the K & W Copper Gasket Sealer as powerband and falconman suggested. the stuff sprays out a bit weird, but seemed to do the trick. i have the head on, now i have to re-assemble everything else.

i did see the indian head copper coat at napa today. i noticed it because it looked rather 'old school' ;)

i did see the indian head copper coat at napa today. i noticed it because it looked rather 'old school'

Yeah it's been around for decades (y)

Back