Thinner phenolic spacers

Naptown66

Anyone got a source for a thin phenolic carb spacer for my two barrel. I got the one from here on the fourm online store, but it's too thick. I need one about 1/4" or less. Or a thick heat reistant gasket.

Currently with the carb adapter for two to one and the Holley two barrel, I've only got about 3/8" clearance under the hood from the air filter nut. I also use a drop air filter.

Would a silicon gasket be an idea to prevent heat soak into my carb on hot days.

Anyone ever build a reflective shield above their headers and under the carb?

You might try to stack a few gaskets to whatever thickness you think you may need. I have eliminated carb perculating in the past with this method,

Fred

Some mid 1970's to 80's Ford's used thick carb gaskets they had a phenolic or plastic bushing around each stud hole. :nod: Check parts store catalogs like NAPA

Naptown66":1c9vcp9o said:
Anyone got a source for a thin phenolic carb spacer for my two barrel. I got the one from here on the fourm online store, but it's too thick. I need one about 1/4" or less. Or a thick heat reistant gasket.

Currently with the carb adapter for two to one and the Holley two barrel, I've only got about 3/8" clearance under the hood from the air filter nut. I also use a drop air filter.

Would a silicon gasket be an idea to prevent heat soak into my carb on hot days.

Anyone ever build a reflective shield above their headers and under the carb?

Hey Naptown66. I was looking at my log head and it looks like you could make a heat shield. I found this tape you could put on the underside.
http://www.importimageracing.com/mm5/me ... re_Code=ii
for additional insulation.

At the moment my motor is in a rebuild mode. With aluminum heads intake and dual headers I cant tell what mine will look like.
But I will try and make one myself. Around Feb I should have a good idea.

I will get back with ya then..

First thing will be thicker gaskets.

Second will be a heat shield covered in heat reflective material.

Third will be a separate electric fan to keep the air moving at stop lights, etc.

I third the heat shield idea. You already have a 2to1 bbl adaptor, which should provide some sort of insulation including the gaskets top and bottom.

Had a neighbor get a new heat pump installed and picked several nice big clean pieces of duct material sheet metal.

I created a template out of cardboard, custom fit to under the carb and now just need to fabricate a few brackets to hold it in place off the outboard carb base mount screws. they've got a lot of thread available.

I also picked up a couple of square feet of gold adhesive backed reflective material from Jegs on clearance that I can use to coat the sheet metal.

That and the extra carb gaskets should be a good start.

I fixed the problem by using an old trick. Cut a piece of hardwood for under the base of the carb. Works like a charm.

I bought and used a cutting board from the dollar store, and made two paper gaskets for each side.
I stuck 'em together with Permatex copper.

That white stuff, I'm not sure what kind of plastic.
I just drove a few hundred miles on the highway and it seems to have survived! :LOL:

:) Hi Jackfish.I believe that the plastic cutting board that he is referring to is the type that restaurants use.They are avilable at most any place that sells kitchen gadgets and ect.
Leo

I got a couple of new gaskets so I'm going to try adding them before I use a full spacer.

I received the roll of reflective anti-heat foil from Jegs. Cleaned up the cut out sheet metal with some toluene and covered one side with the foil. Actually looks pretty good. Now to fabricate some small brackets and mount it.

Pics to come.

I had the Mustang out today it ran great. No heat sink problems. Stopped and re-started real nicely...of course it's 55F degrees today. But carb was cool to touch, so I'm thinking maybe it was a success.

Did have a carb throttle retract spring pop off a bracket, which was a quick fix. Luckily the carb did not default to full throttle, just got real loose via the gas pedal, as in easy to rev up.

Thanks for the ideas.

Back