Lifter problem

Gene 64 2dr

I am having a problem with one of my lifters. At first I started to have a problem with noisy lifters. I thought I my have damaged some because I drive it pretty hard with a few runs down the drag strip. I would adjust them but the noise would return in a very short time.
I replaced the complete set of lifters but the problem still remained.

I finally found out where the noise was coming from.
When adjusting the lifters with the engine running all the lifters adjusted correctly but one. The lifter for the intake on the #6 cylinder when backed out until it clatters then adjusted to remove the noise would after about thirty seconds start clattering. Preloading another ½ turn would eliminate the noise but after another thirty seconds or so it would return. This continues until the lifter is completely collapsed. I thought I may have a bad lifter so I replaced it but have the same problem. There is plenty of oil pressure.

Any Ideas as to why I’m having this problem.

Gene

Is this the last lifter towards the back of the engine?
Does your engine oil though the pushrods?

When you say you have good oil pressure what are you looking at?

The lifter is second from the back and it’s not oiled thru the push rods.
The oil pressure is at the oil sending unit. At start up cold it’s around 38 lbs and drops to around 20 when warmed up (using 20-50 Valvoline racing oil). When running there is plenty of oil flowing at the top of the head and when I pulled the lifter it was completely covered in oil.
I see that there is a hole in the side of the lifter that I assume that is where it gets oil to keep it pumped up. Is there an oil passage that I didn’t see that supplies oil to the lifter from the side? I’m thinking if there is one it could be plugged.

Gene

Gene 64 2dr":w2slvvfa said:
Is there an oil passage that I didn’t see that supplies oil to the lifter from the side? I’m thinking if there is one it could be plugged.

Gene

yes there is a paasage that runs past the side of all of the lifters. It is getting oil, or it wouldn't ever be quiet when you cank down on the adjuster. I just think there is something blocking the flow where that lifter is not getting oil quickly.

You might try some marvel mystry oil to clean everything.
Or you could install one solid lifter and pushrod and set las at .002-.004 since the cam has no lash ramp on the lobe.

Back