What should I run a Tri-Power, Supercharger or Turbo?

What should I run a Tri-Power, Supercharger or Turbo?

• Tri-Power

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Supercharged

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Turbo

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

paulzox

Okay i have been trying to decide what i want to run in my ride.

I have three engines right now. I am leaning towards running a Tri-Power for now and building up a sweet supercharged or Turbo later over the next year or so.

What do you guys and gals think?

FalconSedanDelivery":3aboo7xj said:
How Much Money Do you have and Whats your age and Education

Money is not a problem; I plan on building it over an entire year. What’s my age and education have to do with it? If you are asking about my mechanical education, it is equivalent to a lower level auto mechanic and mid-level motorcycle mechanic. As far as age you only as old as you feel… for a number I am 35.

I haven't voted yet but what are your priorities?
Turbo is the most modern and power-producing setup - $$ - medium difficulty
Tripower has the retro-cool factor - $ - easier to set- up
Supercharger, very unique, good torque curve, but - $$$ most difficult to fab probably, but there are those who have done it.

JackFish":rdsw7zta said:
Supercharger, very unique, good torque curve, but - $$$ most difficult to fab probably, but there are those who have done it.

As far as priorities goes, none really. I like the look and wow factor of the tri-power and I like the 13sec and under ¼ mile factor of the turbo and supercharger. That’s why I have multiple engines right now.

I think it would be awesome to eat-up some V8’s at the track with an I6 mmmuuuhahaha!

That being the case I would go with a turbo.
But if $$$ don't matter the supercharger would have edge just for the cool factor. 8)

Yah that's a pretty awesome build.
Also check out mustangaroo's setup with the Paxton SN-89.
You'll have to go back about 8 years....
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=52
logo2008.jpg

It's an Aussie head but that shouldn't matter.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19007

paulzox":3ogpf6xt said:
JackFish":3ogpf6xt said:

As far as priorities goes, none really. I like the look and wow factor of the tri-power and I like the 13sec and under ¼ mile factor of the turbo and supercharger. That’s why I have multiple engines right now.

I think it would be awesome to eat-up some V8’s at the track with an I6 mmmuuuhahaha![/quote]

Which ever it takes to eat-up some V8’s at the track with an I6 is the correct build for you..

Do it.. (y)

Money not being an issue, I would do an aluminum head turbo with FI. Easy starting, smooth running, and gobs of power. Include spark control for safety with the turbo.

the way i see it....

Tri power = awesome looks, but a PAIN to constantly tune. unless you tried a tri TBI EFI setup. then the computer you would have to learn but would look and give great power.

Turbo = awesome power absolutly, but I don't think you can run A/C with your intercooler, the timing would be diffeicult unless you when TBI again, and I would suggest a system like F.A.S.T. or something that gives you everything as a kit that "learns" your setup. and then add the turbo on top of it.

Super = you don't need a intercooler here in AZ cause it might just heat it up anyways, AC wouldn't be in the way, less plumbing. insta power, torque saves gas, but flooring the pedal doesn't. the super I would also suggest the learning TBI EFI system. there are others....

IMO, I would go super, the CI alum head with 4bbl, FAST EFI 4bbl TB and computer system, 250 block, 256/256 cam @ 109* and AOD from a V8.

but if i were in ur shoes
probably do the tri setup with three 1100 autolites, it's the easiest setup with the log head.
but your going with the Alum head IIRC...
single 4bbl carb will make your life easiest and there is alot more power from that setup than what you can possibly get from 3 1bbl's

64 200 ranchero":2uip7auu said:
do a supercharged tri power that would be bad ass

64 200 Ranchero,

i have actually thought about that, using three blow through carbs. i have searched with no joy for information, but i am not giving up. I have the three carbs now, if i can get my hands on a supercharger for a reasonable price i might try it.

MPGmustang":n32hh29s said:
the way i see it....

Tri power = awesome looks, but a PAIN to constantly tune. unless you tried a tri TBI EFI setup. then the computer you would have to learn but would look and give great power.

Turbo = awesome power absolutly, but I don't think you can run A/C with your intercooler, the timing would be diffeicult unless you when TBI again, and I would suggest a system like F.A.S.T. or something that gives you everything as a kit that "learns" your setup. and then add the turbo on top of it.

Super = you don't need a intercooler here in AZ cause it might just heat it up anyways, AC wouldn't be in the way, less plumbing. insta power, torque saves gas, but flooring the pedal doesn't. the super I would also suggest the learning TBI EFI system. there are others....

IMO, I would go super, the CI alum head with 4bbl, FAST EFI 4bbl TB and computer system, 250 block, 256/256 cam @ 109* and AOD from a V8.

but if i were in ur shoes
probably do the tri setup with three 1100 autolites, it's the easiest setup with the log head.
but your going with the Alum head IIRC...
single 4bbl carb will make your life easiest and there is alot more power from that setup than what you can possibly get from 3 1bbl's

MPGmustang,

Thanks for all the great information. I do really like the aluminum head. Before i go that route i want to see what i can do with the stock heads, i have 1 '69 head with the flat bigger log and 3 '65 '66 heads.

M90 blown thru projection111by retrotek throttle body with aluminum head and good cam grind, easiest way to go, check out how easy the retrotek system is to hook up, ecu on throttle body with laptop tuning if desired, you may also be able to run 1 or 2 psi more on premium gas than with mpfi, I would have used this system if available at the time I put mine together instead of the mpfi,you can hook this system up in a couple of hours excluding the fuel supply, if I remember I think you can run a returnless fuel system on this which I do on the 2 system which pulses the fuel pump, works great.

Use a very good radiator and try to keep the engine temp around 160, makes a huge difference in how much boost you can run.

Well so far it is all tied up. I am leaning towardss the tripple crab set up.

Anyone know the potentional horse power running a bottom end .030 over, '69 flat log head with 1.75/1.5 and tri power?

Back