offy triple carb setup idea's

bigblue91

will 3 carter yf's (195cfm) carbs be overkill on a 250?

the plan for this engine is
will be a heavily ported head, 264/274 112 cam, port divider/headers, adjustable rocker assembly, .20 over bore, aiming for 9 on compression, higher tension springs
will the offy and carter yf's do well on this setup?

behind a c4 and 2.89 rear

Prepare to cut your hood. The front carb will hit the hood without an air cleaner. With the work you are doing, cam, head, header you should be ok once sorted.

yea ive been measuring, i should be able to raise hood mounts 1/4" and drop the engine mounts as well as transmission crossmember and the carb itself should clear, air cleaner i will need to rig something up.

thanks, i wasn't sure if that was 2 much carb on the motor

Lot's a work. That's why I'm selling my set up. Bought it originally for my '63 Ranchero, but never got it on. Don't want to cut up my Maverick at this time....but I just might...some day. It will look cool though.

i have prepare my motormounts and make chance my airfilters.

good luck with your project,try to place some photo's please,,,,thanks
have a nice weekend,,,greeeetttzzz,,,,JD. ;)

Wow, I'm impressed. That looks GREAT. But it will run great too. I ran at the drags once against a 260 V8 Falcon. He was 3 tenth quicker. I know the 250 will scoot. Sold off my header as it wont clear my AC. and now the 3 X 1 set up will go since I did not spend the time like you to lower the motor.... Right now, I'm happy with it stock althoug I do have the parts to convert it from C4 to manual......Ya just never know....Thanks for the pics of your swap

Howdy Blue:

On your question of "Too Much?" It's likely. There are two factors in your favor; 1) progressive linkage, and 2) the vacuum acturated metering rod system of enrichment on the YFs. It's still a big gulp. Keep us posted on your progress.

Adios, david

bigblue91":1ti47dfr said:
will 3 carter yf's (195cfm) carbs be overkill on a 250?

the plan for this engine is
will be a heavily ported head, 264/274 112 cam, port divider/headers, adjustable rocker assembly, .20 over bore, aiming for 9 on compression, higher tension springs
will the offy and carter yf's do well on this setup?

behind a c4 and 2.89 rear

Sounds awesome, the 250 with cam and porting should handle a lot of CFM. 'Ran hot 250 with350CFM 7448 Holley and it needed more at WOT. Also ran well but accel' starved with single known-good YF for initial startup-run in 2K RPM phase.

The 2.89 rear will allow modern interstate cruise speed but add an anchor to first gear.

My suggestion is get a spare hood if you're a purist or whatever works..., you will be glad you did.

'61 <> <> <>

stage II:
<>

good info and nice setups (y)

looking at the pictures i do seem hesitant to try the install, will motor mounts lower enough to allow hood clearance on the mavs. i wont be chopping the hood unfortunately as it's a grabber hood and it costed a pretty penny.

Weber ICT carbs are the most popular for tri-powers; once you get them setup they're trouble free. A member here has many miles on his setup. I used Holley glass bowl 1904 and 1960, which were the shorter compared to Autolite 1100s. The Holleys were beautiful carbs, but a major pain to get them not to leak or flood. I had no hood clearance issues running 1904 under a '66 Falcon Ranchero. The YF got to be one of the tallest carbs that came on our sixes.

Back