Stalls in turns

hotrodbob

During hard turns/quick maneuvers my stock 250 stalls/looses power. No mods to engine or carb. Pertronix in dissy is the only change from stock. Any ideas on what to fix/change is welcome. I first noticed this when I tried to autocross my Maverick a couple of months ago and it stalled in a turn. Saturday I made a u-turn and it did it again. Speed was about 15mph. Both were lefts. :help:

The Maverick has the stock carb for a 250. Runs great the rest of the time. Just stalls in turns.

Again remove the carb top & check for the float binding on the carb body. Set float level slightly higher than specs.
Check your fuel pressure & fix as necessary. Falcon Man

Float is original and who know when the carb was rebuilt. I've owned the car since I joined this forum and not touched it, so it's time.. Thanks

sounds like what I had, JackFish might also reconize it too, and yes it is the carb float, I have found that my adding a slight tilt to my float I can keep the same height but loose that stall problem...

just a did a rebuild kit myself on my pony 1100 and works alot better even tho it's only 1.5 yrs old (from pony)

I wasn't sure which carb you had
You have the Carter RBS if your mavericks a 71 I believe?
Every carter I have rebuilt are set about 1/4" lower then recommended (maybe over the years it bends itself down?), not sure why. If your hot on the pedal and take it racing at times I would raise the float to not risk starving it., if it's a carter yf raise the float and loosen the metering rod to feed the engine more and to not kill it on turns.

the rbs/yf carters starve at long WOT runs/sharpturns/ unless you take it past spec settings.

my 2 cents

Thanks. That is good to know. I have never even had the air cleaner off this thing so I'll have to look at the carb to I.D. it, but yes it is a 1971, 250. I'd like to swap it over to a Holley/Weber 2 bbl some time, but hood clearance is the bigger issue with the 250. For now a 1 bbl is just fine. :thanks:

i have a holley 1940 you can have when i go to pick up the head, its just taking up room i have no use for it, try the carb it made a difference when i swaped it over my stock carb

Back