255 V8 pistons

63stl_comet

Anybody know of a source for Hypereutectic 255 V8 pistons with out them having to be custom ordered? If I end up having to have them custom made I might as well just buy forged. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian.

Everything listed so far are just normal cast pistons. I guess there is nobody making Hypereutectic pistons for this application. So I guess it will be cast pistons for this build then. Don't want to spend the money on having forged pistons made!

Brian,

IIRC, I have 4 or 5 of the Ford 255 V8 pistons sets. I'm not for sure what size they are though. I think .030 & .040 oversize???? I will have time to pull them out on Sunday if you are not in a hurry. I've got to dig down and find a set of main & rod bearings anyway. I will be sorting thru the stuff, if you have time to wait.

Darrell

I would be very interested if they are hypereutectic! I have plenty of time, just so long as the motor is together by spring!

Brian,

I didn't think I'd ever find this post again. I do have 1 set of .030 over 255 pistons and 4 sets of .040 oversize 255 pistons, however as far as I can tell they are just cast piston sets. The .030 overs being the Silvolite 1176's and the .040 overs being Ford Motorsport E0SE's. I also have a .030 over set of 200 pistons and a .030 over set of 170 pistons with rings for all of them. I am sorry about falsely getting your hopes up for the hypereutectics.

Darrell

You'll have a better shot of finding hypereutectics if you look for Chevy 305 pistons. They have a compression height of 1.560", slightly less than the 255, and a 3.736" bore.

Piston pin is a different size, but that's an easy rod modification.

To get to zero deck, you'll still need to deck the block a good bit unless you offset grind the crank to stroke it another .080".

The biggest problem is that once you have this together, your compression ratios will be very high unless you come up with a large volume combustion chamber. Make sure you do the math first. Lots of grinding!

63stl_comet":331oprr3 said:
Everything listed so far are just normal cast pistons. I guess there is nobody making Hypereutectic pistons for this application. So I guess it will be cast pistons for this build then. Don't want to spend the money on having forged pistons made!

I have not followed your build specs, but possible alternate cast piston application, ( Hyper' availability?). I don't claim to be a machinist or engine builder but there's alternatives to the 255 pistons. The 250 uses AMC 258 pistons which have a useful D-shaped relief (21cc's) with original rods to keep the CR to street gas/drivable. The HSC type Ford four pistons/rods I believe are another used.

Pointer to - or specs of build?:

Have Fun

Back