Distributor swap on 200cid ( ditching the LOM)

cballard1972

Swapping Distributor to be compatible with Carter RBS carb. I picked up a 68 distributor today for 35 bucks at the boneyard. It has two vacuum ports on the advance. Can someone tell me where to run both lines for optimum engine performance.

I just snapped a pic of the routing in my shop manual but my photobucket isn't working to upload it. PM me your email addy and I'll send it to ya.

-stephen

Got the distributor in and it fired right up. Did not get a chance to take it for a test drive. Hope to drive it this afternoon. Gonna replace the coil just for precaution as it is very old/rusty. Almost there, hopefully.

Got everything in tonight, new Accel coil, condensor and rotor. Took it for a test drive. Nice noticable difference. I can actually climb the very steep hill near the end of my road in 3rd gear with only minimal speed loss. I think I will get my brother, the actual mechanic in our family to come over and check compression, adjust the mixture on the carb, and set the timng with a light. There is a slight miss, not major but noticable.Only thing I really need to do now is change out the Idler arm sleeve tomorrow. I also notice that when I back off the throttle there is a slight jumping/shaking from below the car. I need to check the tranny mount and the u-joints while I am under the car tomorrow.

What kind of gas works best for these older motors. Higher octane make any difference. :unsure:

Good stuff.

I ran 87 with lead substitute for 40k miles or so on my stock engine in the past 5 years. I have 20k miles on my rebuilt 9:1 engine with 87 octane and no lead(I used a late model head for rebuild). Some say lead additive is for the birds, others swear it's necessary. My machinest/builder said to use it in the old motor so I did.

Back