Fuel Pump Replacement... tips?

WestCoastComet

Hey everyone,

I had just broken in my new lifters, rocker shaft, etc. on a 200, and I fired her up to go for a drive, when I heard a clicking that sounds very much like a dry lifter or something. JackFish of Winnipeg recommended that I check my fuel pump, which would be smart, because I was about to start taking my head off and inspect my lifters (!!!). haha.

Anywho, I'm gonna put a new pump on today and see if she quiets down. I was wondering though.... Is pressurized oil gonna pour out of the cavity from which I'll be removing the pump? How is the pump arm oiled? I'll probably just throw a pan under the car anyway, but was wondering how this will affect my pressure at the top end.

Any recent fuel pump replacements done by a member? Any tips are welcome.

Thanks again to JackFish for saving me the time of pulling my head without exhausting the possibilities. Peace.

I replaced my fuel pump just fine, no oil pouring out or anything, just a few drips when you lift it out was all-
Nick

Forgot to ask, what do you use to lube the arm on the pump? If I get no response, I suppose I'll just use lucas oil assembly lube. That seems just fine.

feel inside the block opening and make sure the high point on the cam is pointing away.
this will keep the pressure off of the fuel pump arm so there is no resistance.
i use a remote starter to adjust the position.
also, i use the oil resistant blue rtv silicone instead of the crappy gaskets which can be a pain at times.

I've started making my own gaskets, bought a cheap set of hole punches.
Rather than buying a new pump, try re-lubing the arm where it contacts the cam with some thick assembly lube. It might be quiet for a short time and then get noisy again.

I'll have a look at it tonight. It probably needs a new one though. It sat dry for 7 + months, plus more time before that when I was doing other stuff.

The car sat for 20 years in a barn before being fired up a couple years ago, when my room mate at the time bought it for his girlfriend. The girl left him, and my room mate, a bowtie man himself, had a Ford he didn't want. That's how I scored me Ford. I'll try to take some pics and post them on a new thread, 'cause this car is about as clean as all-original gets after 39 years. A few paint chips, one rip in the interior, old hoses/belts, but other than that, it's in pretty amazing condition. What's more amazing is that it sat for 20 years, and all it needed was fluids, a battery and some belts! The carb wasn't even rebuilt when I bought it. That's what I call Ford Tough.

Haha the true def of Ford Tough! And you know, this got me thinking, I never did lube the arm on the fuel pump when I put it back in...Oops!

kukm66":uh11kzmc said:
feel inside the block opening and make sure the high point on the cam is pointing away. i use a remote starter to adjust the position
Just remember not to do both those at the same time , let's keep those fingers unbroken . There is no oil pressure there , just sling and splash . The fuel pump lever has nowhere the contact pressure of a lifter so the "break in" is minimal and any lubricant thick enough to stay in place is sufficient .

Thanks oldgrezmonke, I think I'll feel the cam when i take the pump off, then crank it and feel it again so I'll know which position is the high position. Yeah I sure don't want any broken grabbers, I use 'em a lot!

Out of curiosity... anyone ever seen a flat fuel pump lobe? Do they generally just wear down and provide less and less pressure until the lobe is gone?

Fuel pump cam lobe failure is rare ; that is under far less pressure than the valvetrain lobes . I have seen only one case , a Toyota Corolla I owned which had about 200,000 miles at the time . I put on an electric pump and drove it another 100,000 before something serious happened to it .

Back