Which 2V Carb for 250 2V Head?

rocklord

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Don't flame me and say to use the Search feature to find out. I have and the information I found was old (5+ years) and inconclusive.

On a stock engine with a 250 2V head, which 2V carb would be preferred, a progressive (like the weber 32/36) or synchronous (Motorcraft 2100)?

The threads I read on the subject stated that, because of the orientation of the carb on the intake (throttle shaft perpendicular to the head) the synchronous carb would be the better choice. The concerns on the progressive carb was either possible leaning of the cylinders or driveability.

Now that time, and mileage, has passed with members having their heads and carb choice installed, I wondered if this still holds true.
Please state what carb you are running, how it is doing, and which way the throttle shaft is oriented relative to the head.

Thanks.

My 250/2V head is still waiting. The current engine w/C5 log head, DSII, and 1946 runs so well, gets such great mileage, that I don't have any desire to swap, yet. Maybe in a another 40-50,000 miles...
Then, when it goes in, it will go in with the complete EFI setup from a 1990ish 3.8 T-bird, no carb.

Carb orientation, under "normal" driving, orientation doesn't make a whole lot of difference.
I.e., Corvairs came from the factory with the carbs oriented backwards. This results in a condition called "turn cut-out", under certain circumstances. Those circumstances are full throttle through a sharp corner (typical auotX scenario). The jets, being on the wrong side of the carb, become exposed due to slosh, resulting in stumbling, loss of power, etc. When my Corsa had stock carbs, I could only induce the condition on certain highway onramps.
Otherwise, even during "spirited" driving, it didn't make much difference.
No Falcon, and 99% of classic Mustangs have nowhere near the fuel sloshing cornering G ability of a properly set up late model Corvair, so, Carb orientation is something I would not worry about.

I'm surprised no other 250 head owner has chimed in on this one.

Rick(wrench)

For a man to refer to any Corvair as a "Late Model" he would have to be old like me. :D

Good advice on carb orientation. There have been some guys on here that have had a bog turning left or right with the Weber. I think it may be due to float level. I had my Weber mounted to a log with the bowl facing forward and I had zero problems.

Back