Install Offenhauser Tri Carburetors

echo1955

Hey guys.. u all miss me..uhhhhhhhhhh sto dat.. :mrgreen:

Carburetors

Installing the Offenhauser Tri Carb Manifold
Offy001.jpg

I bolted the manifold down and then I scribed the area to drill.
Offy002.jpg

I used a 7/8” drill here. Worked great
Offy003.jpg

Then I used a 3/4" round stone to shape the bottom side.
Offy005.jpg

Looks like this when I finished.
Offy007.jpg

Fits perfect on both ends.
Offy0008.jpg

I cut the front stud 1/4 “ shorter. Made slipping the retainer on easier.
Offy014.jpg

I had to shape the manifold a little as well as the log manifold.
Offy011.jpg

I had to use a 1-1/16 “ drill. Perfect fit.
Offy0009.jpg

The center carb was a double pumper at one time. It does not have a SCV valve.
Offy018.jpg

I rigged a manual choke. Looks like it is going to work great.
Offy00019.jpg

Another view of the choke. I am going to have my machine make me a ball for the center hook up as you can see inside the red circle area.
Offy0019.jpg

Choke hook up.
Offy020.jpg

Offy sent wrong part. This part shaft was to small OD and to short shaft as well.
Offy021.jpg

The new part shaft OD is fine but the shaft is way to short. Offy suggested I ground the areas I marked in red down. I don’t car for that suggestion at all as it creates a clearance issue with the linkage . I’m going to have my machine shop make me 2 new ones.
Offy023.jpg

Making my choke arn.
Offy022.jpg

Drilling the choke arm.
Offy026.jpg

You can see the left carb use to be a double pumper w/o a PCV valve. I didn’t like the looks of the blank hole area so I covered it.
Offy027.jpg

This is almost the finished install. Looks great tad is ole’ bird.

i b back wid more stuff....latter (y)

Ah yes, brings back memories of the moment of when that hole saw drilled into the head-ya just know there is no turnin back at that point! I have enjoyed the results for several years now and I'm sure you will too!

Thanks bubba22349 If it runs half as good as it looks.. I’ll be in hogggggg heaven.. :mrgreen:

jdn.. My 30 year career field included adjusting photography…. :beer:

Hey Leo how the heck ya doing.. Where ya been man.. haven’t seen ya in a spell..
uuuuuhhhhh …..wait a minute. I think I gots da answer already.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

JOHN G":3ts30snt said:
Ah yes, brings back memories of the moment of when that hole saw drilled into the head-ya just know there is no turnin back at that point! I have enjoyed the results for several years now and I'm sure you will too!

Hahahahahah I knows what ya mean... It took me a couple weeks to get up the nerve to actually pull the trigger... As it turned out it was really easy and simple. :shock: :mrgreen:

DrillManifold072-1.jpg

I couldn’t find my original photo so I took this after the fact to show how I drilled the holes. I did not have the nerve to do it any other way… :unsure:

I have my progressive linkage in order and confirmed it works O.K.

unisonrig072.jpg

This is the straight unison linkage that I want to run. It works great..

Frankenstang":1pszikjn said:
echo1955":1pszikjn said:
If it runs half as good as it looks.. I’ll be in hogggggg heaven..

Those tri-powers are darn sexy <catcall> :D Great work (y)

Thanks Frankenstang. I may be headed your way after I get this up and running for some easy cures should some carb issues jump on me.

I bought these carb from RockAuto at a very reasonable price. Just have to wait and see if their rebuilds stack up..

I’m not sure what issues are waiting for me when I get ready to hook my foot linkage to the carbs. I want to keep the stock foot linkage.

As best I can tell it will be a very close call
Origlink.jpg

Looks as tho I will have about a 3/4 “ margin. That will mean a machine part ??
Just have to cross that barge when me gets there.. :mrgreen:

I will be back with some photo to show the modifications I had to make because Offy sent some parts that could not be used. This manifold was on B/O for a couple months.

So I believe with this run there was some errors made in the production. The fix is simple if you fallow Offy suggestions of grinding down the effected areas. I chose to resolve it in a different way.. So far working great..

c-u alls :mrgreen:

echo1955":32jdm0zp said:
I’m not sure what issues are waiting for me when I get ready to hook my foot linkage to the carbs. I want to keep the stock foot linkage. As best I can tell it will be a very close call

There is a threaded version of the linkage available with at least 3/4" take up on the shaft. I don't know which years/models had it.

echo1955":25y1826u said:

.... straight unison linkage that I want to run. It works great..

The later adaptor also needed relieving to help linkage clearances. The Offy supplied linkage is more suggested parts. The linkage bellcrank arm and sliding outer arms allow for simple variable geometry from straight unison linkage to progressive with varying throtttle position and opening ratio - 'real interested in your synchronous carb setup and throttle response.

hAVE fUN

<> <> <>

001MachineParts.jpg

1: Is the part sent in the original kit. (To Small: To Short)
2: Is the replacement part. (To Short)
3: Is the part I had machined. Works great

002BallArms.jpg

Here you can see the gap at bottom, allowing spring to work through.

003CrimpBallJoint072.jpg

My solution. Using a RG cable tool I crimped the end. So far so good.

004BallArmrepaired072.jpg

I crimped 1/8 “ . I didn’t have enough nerve to go further in. Once I started the crimp with this tool I had to go all the way to release the crimp.

ludwig":3neupwsv said:
echo1955":3neupwsv said:
I’m not sure what issues are waiting for me when I get ready to hook my foot linkage to the carbs. I want to keep the stock foot linkage. As best I can tell it will be a very close call

There is a threaded version of the linkage available with at least 3/4" take up on the shaft. I don't know which years/models had it.

Thanks ludwig..

005OriginalBalllink072.jpg

I have an adjustable link that came on the car. I’m not quite sure if it will adjust enough.
If it doesn’t …no problemento..
I’ll make one that does.. :mrgreen:

powerband":1w5l3i9o said:
echo1955":1w5l3i9o said:

.... straight unison linkage that I want to run. It works great..

The later adaptor also needed relieving to help linkage clearances. The Offy supplied linkage is more suggested parts. The linkage bellcrank arm and sliding outer arms allow for simple variable geometry from straight unison linkage to progressive with varying throtttle position and opening ratio - 'real interested in your synchronous carb setup and throttle response.

hAVE fUN

<> <> <>

Hey powerband…
Offy has enough parts to configure half a dozen different configurations..
Most everyone is using the progressive set up.

I can understand the surge in power when going from mid range to WOT..
I do not understand how you can achieve peak performance using center carb up to mid range....
Then inject 2 outer carbs and maintain peak performance.
As I understand it, you will ether be lean or rich..

Keep in mind.. MPG is not one of my objectives..
No Ping or Detonation
Good Clean Spark Plugs
Good Crisp Sound
Mild lope
With a touch of Eye Candy
And a sprinkling of
EYE CANDY.. :mrgreen:

However I do like the idea of progressive though… :nod:

i PROmISE ...... :mrgreen:

Back