MSD 6A / DurasparkII wiring help

Invectivus

Subscriber
Gold Supporter
I bought a DSII dizzy, a wiring harness, and an MSD 6200 (all used from different sources) and I looked up the install instructions, and it looks like I might be hosed. It's an older 6200, the wrapped wires are all there (black, white, red, orange) and the external black is there, but the red is missing. I'm assuming this is a deal breaker as-is, and that to work this ignition box I'm going to need to pop the 4 corner rivets and replace that red wire?

How feasable is that? I know there's like zero warrenty or support on this thing, but I'm still leery of cracking into it willy nilly. My degree, such as it is, is in electronics so I should be able to fix it up (especially if i can get my hands on a circuit diagram).

If I understand you correctly, you are missing the thick red (main power) wire? That is really a problem.

I think I would ship the box to MSD and have them repair it. Check with them first on their web site, but they used to repair or replace any MSD box for only $30. I bought more than a few toasted MSD 6 boxes from friends or at swap meets for next to nothing, sent them to MSD for repair for the flat rate, and got a good working MSD in the end.

I suppose you could open it up though if you are adventurous. I looked around on the web for pictures of what the inside of a 6A box looked like, didn't find any but found this document that at least contains a schematic: http://www.dainst.com/info/circuits/msd6a_02.pdf.

I might ring them to verify, currently the talk on the net is that the repair cost is ~85 bucks, at which point I'd try myself (especially since it's a missing wire issue, not as of yet a functional issue).

If I had known last week about the repair cost, there was a blown MDS on ebay (supposedly a bad diode) for like 5 bucks, that totally would have been worth it. That's what I get for incomplete research, I just found out last night they did T&M repairs (which makes perfect sense in hindsight).

Thanks for the link!

Back