carter rbs question

Ok I swapped out the new accelerator pump for the old, and the problem is only slightly improved. I guess when the seal soaks up some gasoline, it swells up and causes too much friction for the spring to handle. I kinda thought it might be the spring because it just seemed too weak when i rebuilt the carb. I am just surprised that the rebuild kit does not come with a replacement. I got a spring that should fit from OSH. This one is a bit stronger and should handle the pump. If the 100 degree heat cools down for a bit, I will try and get out to the garage and get something done.

Thanks all.

Yoda-
I wonder if the problem is in the lever mechanism the pushes down the plunger. On the web page (links on my prior post) there are measurements to set the "plunger depth" of the accelerator pump lever- the picture shows shims and washers and even has a measurement for appropriate lever travel. It could be that the lever is set high so high that if never fully depresses the plunger when the throttle is opened. Just a thought. Hope you get some cool weather soon...
Marc in SF

Alright, a small update. Sooooo... The new spring I bought went in the carb and it did allow the pump to work like it should. So now the car idles nearly whisper quiet (at 600rpm), accelerates smoothly, but that is about it. When the car gets up to speed and I guess when the carb switches to the throttle circuit, the cars starts running rough and at any RPM over 2500 is very rough. Now I have a small question regarding the structure of the RBS carb. The only thing I had trouble replacing in the carb was the step-up rod and diaphragm. The new one developed a tiny hole as I was trying to install it, so I had to put the old one back on. What does this part do and would an old/not very flexible one, cause the car to run roughly at part throttle?

Thank you all! I know with all the knowledge on this board, I will be able to get my Mustang back on the road again.

Ok I found out what the step-up or metering rod does, but would having an old diagpragm on the rod cause the car to run rough at part throttle?

Thanks

carb on Ebay right now
looked pretty clean

interesting that the seller would say "looked this way on the '66" and in the listing headline "67, 68, 69, ..." I didn't think it could B a feedback style carb (w/pre '68 SCV distrib).

Were these carbs run with a cable throttle?

Thanks

Back