New exhaust on my sons 62.....he aint happy....

Kenneth Warner

Ok, we got the little 170 up and going and for the last week we have been running the original stick of exhaust pipe, about 6 foot of it, with no muffler. I guess he got used to the sound of it and after installing a more factory system he cant stand it. Wants that deep sound that he was hearing. Any suggestions on what we could go with that would sound good and not like a typical 6 cyl. He was really diggin that straight pipe noise...LOL. Thanks for any input.
Ken

Just wanted to add that I want to keep the original manifold etc., looking to add something to the one exhaust pipe. Thanks.

suggestions on what we could go with that would sound good and not like a typical 6 cyl. He was really diggin that straight pipe noise...LOL.

I really can't tell what to suggest from that. I like 1 thing others something else...Why change from what was? legal issues? he just wants loud? what kinda loud...

I would suggest we offer muffler designs to consider and resulting sounds (very subjective still but more exacting & possibly more helpful?). Don't need to creat a theisi tho.

Turbos
Glass packs
Chambered (2, 3)

What ever other designs there are - & characteristics plus a company or three w/each. I dunno, a thought - mostly cuz there's already too much endorsement of certain products AND "the exhaust sound I seek" is hard to describe (even post here in audio it's sounded "off" from reality).

He wants the "hot rod" sound that we were hearing from a 6 foot stick of pipe. Doesnt have to be ear blasting loud. I have heard a few six cyl.s with glasspacks and they just dont sound good to me, was hoping that someone out there that knows about these old ford six cyls. would know of an something available that would sound good, a toned down version of the straight pipe sound, if that makes any since... Thanks for your help so far.

Ken

a toned down version of the straight pipe sound
OK, thasss a begining

the link just sounds weird on my 'puter... :unsure:

wonder if the use of words would be better/closer?

What about double chambered (thrush, flowmaster)? Sounds like a 8,000# gvw gas truck to me...

I have dual exhaust, but I think I know what you mean.

to get a "deeper" sound you go with a bigger pipe, too big and you loose HP, but it's all about the sound right... so here's what I would suggest, go 2.5" pipe with a 14inch magnaflow (I use 2 of these) they're a flow through design,

if you havn't already find a 68+ manifold as they have a 2 inch exit (earlier ones mostly had the 1.5 inch exit IIRC) , the guy's @ the shop can size the pipe up to the 2.5 inch pipe. a short muffler (14 or less) will keep the tone you want while getting rid of the IMO unhealthy "blat" , I don't have any experience with galss packs, but I heard a resonator turned backwards does good too.

He probably likes the rumble and the low sound of the straight pipe. I have a Flowmaster 40 on my 2" single outlet pipe. I really like it. Not too noisy inside. Sounds like a muscle car from the 60s. People complain about the drone of a Flowmaster but I haven't found it. Try this website. It has sound clips too. I love mine. It is a little rude and a little noisy and gives a real satisfying rumble when you accelerate.

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/searc ... &sc3=&sc4=

Why don't you get him one of those "farting" mufflers that all of the rice burners use.

That way, he'll fit right in with his friends.

As per certain engineers (e.g. David Vizard) for max power in a 170 you would want to mount a roughly 250 to 280 cubic inch chamber-type muffler as far forward as plausible. Under the passenger's feet would be ideal, but it's not terribly practical so it will likely end up being the stock location. Seeing as it's a stock 170, your best bet would be pipe no larger than 2" into said muffler, although the muffler inlet itself could be a bit bigger than that if you want a bigger sound. With this setup you are using the muffler as an expansion chamber which mimics running an open-ended pipe. What happens after the muffler is of less consequence so you can use that section to tune the sound a little; a bigger pipe coming out of the muffler will give you a deeper tone, whereas a smaller pipe will be slightly less so. You could even get a dual outlet pipe and make a fakey dual exhaust, which would probably sound cool.

Those flowmasters get pretty tiresome as they drone mightily at cruising speed, although a couple of their models are reasonably quiet. The spintechs seem a less droney and have a raspy tone I really like. There is also a company called jones exhaust that seems well regarded and makes products very similar to the flowmasters http://www.jonesexhaust.com/ Holley makes an aero chamber branded muffler that seems to combine the benefits of a chamber muffler with some additional sound dampening.

:beer: Hi classicgen.The name is"Smittys".I believe that is the correct spelling.That brand goes wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back.Early `50`s,if not before.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Early `50`s,if not before.
Thanks Leo.
Net search sez: estab 1977 (may have moved to Jacksonville, Fla area from the mid west then?)
"a free flow thru glass pack designed muffler". Co is on Bronco Dr near Mustang St - seems like a good bet for a ford product...
:LOL:

:) Seems to me that I remember a "Smittys"that was originally based in Cali.But that was long ago and far away.Hehehehehe.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

I assume it's like a "glass pac" but w/steel wool inside type dealie instead?
So we're still @ the 3 designs. I'd go w/a chambered or turbo for a 6 cyl.
Again very individually oriented for each person's sound sought.

What would a resonator alone (w/o muffler) be like? Not sure of the design on those (or there's different designs). I had fiats and alphas (late '60s models) back then that had both res. & muffler that were nice. My kinda loud (not very) but when U took yer foot outta it goin down a hill U could hear the rap of the engine breakin (slowing) the vehicle ("lum, lum, lum" w/each cylinder explosion). It was like a straight pipe (u could hear everything) but MUCH quieter. That's what I seek today - w/the I6...

Back