200 rocker assembly questions

CAMDEN289

Hi All,
I'm a bit mixed up so please bear with me I have two seperate 200 cubic inch rocker assemblies that are both disassembled . These both came out of 65-66 Mustangs one is an adjustable setup and the other is non adjustable.

1)So here goes on the NON-adjustable assy the front pedestal has a removable cover on it,I believe this pedestal is designed to let excess oil flow out? That said when installed which way does it face? A picture of an installed assy would be great.

2) Ok next the adjustable setup : All of the pedestals appear to be the same,I don't see the above mentioned difference. So I assume this is the way that adjustable setups came?

3) Lastly Am I correct in assuming that both types of rocker arm assemblies used the same mounting bolts with the narrow center section to let oil flow through?

I'm trying to get two inop ponies back on the road,Thanks

CAMDEN289":3u1u2o4b said:
Hi All,
I'm a bit mixed up so please bear with me I have two seperate 200 cubic inch rocker assemblies that are both disassembled . These both came out of 65-66 Mustangs one is an adjustable setup and the other is non adjustable.

1)So here goes on the NON-adjustable assy the front pedestal has a removable cover on it,I believe this pedestal is designed to let excess oil flow out? That said when installed which way does it face? A picture of an installed assy would be great.

2) Ok next the adjustable setup : All of the pedestals appear to be the same,I don't see the above mentioned difference. So I assume this is the way that adjustable setups came?

3) Lastly Am I correct in assuming that both types of rocker arm assemblies used the same mounting bolts with the narrow center section to let oil flow through?

I'm trying to get two inop ponies back on the road,Thanks

1) Yes, the little cover I believe was to help with oil flow. The small end should point towards the pushrod end of the rockers. In this picture you can see the cover...the rockers are turned upside down in this picture but you can see how it is installed
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o180/gene_fiore/rockerassembly001.jpg

2) I believe all the pedestals are the same except for the first one if it has that special cover. I don't think this is specific to adjustable or non-adjustble assemblies...just the luck of the draw when Ford was putting these things out.

3) Yes

Hey Gene thanks for the reply.

In regard to my number 2 question the adjustable rockers don't have this special shaped pedestal, all of the pedestals for that shaft look identical. So what do you feel would explain that? What was the more beneficial setup? I'm intrigued from a trivial standpoint as to why Ford would have different rocker pedestals. Thanks

I'm not really sure how to explain that...maybe someone else on this board might know the answer. I would think the more desireable setup would be the one with the additional oiling pedestal.

I have 2 non adjustible assemblys and 2 adjustible, and all 4 have the one-off pedistle for oil relief. Not sure why yours doesn't.

I have half a dozen adjustable rockers here & none of them have the different pedestal
The roller rockers I just bought do....

Ford actually used three different pedestals. Early rocker assemblies used the same pedestal up front. At some point in time they changed the design of the front pedestal, which had a oval shaped cover with a small hole. This version was only used for a very short time, so you don't see them very often. The final version also used the oval shape cover, however it didn't have a hole (it has an indentation where the hole use to be). This pedestal has a small passage on the side that allows oil to drip out of the bottom, instead of being push up through a hole in the cover. I have a bunch of cores, so I'll see if I can find all three versions and post a photo of them.

As for the hole, or oil passage, we think they were added to supply more oil to the distributor and cam gear, which would help prevent premature wear and tear on the gears. If you look closely, the front pedestal sits directly above an oil passage in the cylinder head, between the 2nd & 3rd lifters. This passage way leads to an opening (small hole) that is located above the distributor and cam gears.

pedestals.jpg

GearPort.JPG

Back