Ignition Control Module questions

mysavioreigns

Famous Member
1) Are the Ignition Control Modules (stock Motorcraft) from a V8 and I6 the same? (I'm referring to 76-?? DSII-enabled cars, such as a 79 Fairmont)

Rockauto says they are, but I figured I'd ask a human.

2) Do these units go bad over time? Would I be better off spending $30 on a reman. one, or ~$15 on one from a junkyard?

3) I really want to get the stock harness connector from a yard, but I'm a bit confused at all this...My DSII Distributor has a 3-prong male connector coming out of it. This DSII Ignition Module has a 4-prong male connector and a 2-prong male connector.

$(KGrHqEOKo4E1ruwCdO0BNpMydkdHQ~~0_1.JPG

I'm confused on how this all hooks together. Am I missing something?

Our Bro, Mark P (on here) and classic in lines have good write ups for your dist. & module wiring needs. They go over EVERYTHING clearly enuff for me 2 understand! Click "view topics" above. Good Luck, have fun, be safe AND productive!
Any probs? e-mail me for l a r g e down loads from my archive. I AM on dial up so go to the sources for ease of use.

Thanks guys. I've read through the writeups many times, but what I am not understanding will probably make more sense using this image:

http://web.archive.org/web/20011024....rr.com/mustangsix/Engine/durasparkwiring.jpg

Coming out of the Ignition module are a 4-pin male connector and 2-pin male connector. The 2-pin male connector goes to the Coil. The 4-pin male connector somehow has to connect to a 3-pin male connector (???). And yet the pin layouts don't match up.

8) ford used to sell a wiring harness to install a duraspark ignition system in a car that did not have one through their motorsports catalog. if you have a ford motorsports dealer near you, talk to their parts department, they may still have the needed harness, and the instructions of how to wire it up.

The 2 pin connector runs to ignition switch. The four pin connector uses three wires to connect to distributor. The fourth wire runs to the coil. The 4 pin connectorfor module and the 3 pin connector for distributor are available at NAPA. You make your own 3 wire harness to connect the two. Hope you can understand that.

mysavioreigns":3vb9h3rk said:
That makes a little more sense. What about both connectors being a male plug? I still can't figure that one out.

the factory wiring harness uses female connectors to plug everything together.

Ahh, okay. That is why I see female sockets on cars in the junkyard, and that picture was showing a male connector.

In that case, I'll just grab the female connectors off of a V8 LTD I found, and when I get a Control Module, I'll just cut off the male connector and solder on the old factory one. That will make for a nicer appearance, even if it's not stock.

Thanks

I have two modules with the blue strain relief from picnpul and will buy more if I see them-specially on half price day. Keep one as a spare in the vehicle that way the one in your system most likely will never fail.

Back