noob dizzy questions

cherrybomber

Hi Guys,

i'm currently in the process of restoring my 200ci 65 mustang.

i've still got the original dizzy but have upgraded my ignition to an msd box and msd coil.

questions:

1. should i still change my dizzy for some performance/consumption improvement?
2. if i do get something like a DUI can/should i still keep my msd box?
3. any reccomended brands out there? looks like the DUI from what ive been reading? or is there anything else more popular?
im just looking for somethign i dont need to fiddle around with to much so i can turn my stang into a daily driver.

Howdy CBer:

FYI- Your stock carb, an Autolite 1100 is married to the stock distributor, a Load-O-Matic, by way of a Spark Control Valve in the carb which sends a load sensitive vacuum signal to the distributor. If you change to a different type of advance system distributor without changing to a compatible vacuum signal, it won't work as designed. The DUI and other distributor upgrade options ('68 and later) use both centrifugal and vacuum advance from a ported signal from the carb. To compatibly upgrade you will need a carb capable of giving a ported vacuum signal to the newer distributor.

Given your investments in the MSD parts and your statement about "Restoring", I'd suggest you follow CobraSix' suggestion of upgrading your stock distributor with a Petronix Ignitor kit to eliminate the points for less maintainance and a more reliable spark to the plugs. Be sure to open the spark plug gaps as well. While the DUI and the DSII are a great upgrade, they are rather large and not at all stock appearing, not what you'd want for a restoration. The Petronix kits are significantly less expensive and are compatible with your MSD parts. I do not know about MSD compatibility with DUI.

When working as designed the Load-O-Matic/SCV combo is pretty good for a daily driver.

Keep us posted on what your decide and how it works out for you.

Adios, David

You can use the DUI which is a modified GM HEI.

Check with MSD's tech department or web site. To make a long story short you have to remove the GM module to hook it to the MSD.

MSD is a capacitive deal rather than the regular induction system.

If you want to use the pertronix system it will trigger the MSD box.

Both distributors are better than the old points design.

Go with the protonics I to trigger the MSD box. You will be very pleased with the results. Bill

sorry to confuse- i meant restomod- i just meant restoring (from the dead) hehee. :oops:

looks like pertronix it is for simplicity of install.

thank you Fordsix Gods! :beer:

I have a question - I am considering purchasing a pertronix ignitor as well for my '65 i6 200.

It's stock with a rebuilt head and I have an MSD ignition box with a stock ignition coil with old-style points.

The coil appears to still run great and I'm trying to keep everything original (I don't want a red-topped ignition coil).

Do I need to upgrade the ignition coil if I purchase the pertronix ignitor?

No, you can keep your original coil with a pertronix ignitor.

I would go with Pertronix II. Unless they've fixed the issues, P1 had some reliability problems. P2 is a solid, well tested performer.

THE DUI , is NOT a great setup , it was designed for the mid 70-s-early 80s to help fire the Very lean mixtures that they were running , in order to do so the had to increase spark gap , to do so they needed a higher power coil ,and that also meant an increase the distance between posts on the cap and bigger diameter plug wires to contain the extra energy and resistance created by the Plug Gaps , Now your saying , sounds like a high performance setup , BUT , when you package a Module a Coil and the Magnetic pickup ( along with metal advance weights ) all in close proximity of each other , they better get along well or it wont be good , AND , THIS SYSTEM was to work on Engines That never saw the High Side of 4900 ( including Corvettes of the time !!!!, I have been a Mechanic since the Mid 70's and I had a job at a Mobile/Modular Home Plant ( They Had there own Garage ) part of my job was maintenance on 17, C65 Chev Trucks , that ALL had HEI's in them after about 30,000 miles the coils would die , or the modules , then the Wires would arc , or the spark would punch through the rotor and leave the truck stranded ,Fast forward to now , 35+ years of Experience ( plus I recurve/rebuild Dist's for a living ) I can tell you now that the Davis DUI's are No different then the mid 70's design , its just they fit the 6's ,( barley , there Big and Ugly and look WRONG on any Ford ( IMO) The aftermarket came to the rescue with the HEI , they removed the Coil from inside ( accel still sells the kit as does MSD ), then the made a kit to use a MSD or other Brand of Module/Box that is NOT inside , GM themselves later realized that module failure was due to heat soak ( inside a Dist is not Cool after a few miles ) , so they made it mount external ( GREAT IDEA ) , Although Ford , and Best of all , CHRYSLER , had always done that , If you Want an Upgrade , Use a Duraspark I , Or II , add a MSD Box, or equiv , ( the DUI Duraspark /Chryler's Module is good as well , but again pricey ) some here have bought the DUI's and like them , this is not a Dig on CI , I just want to clear up a misconception that The DUI is a Outstanding Piece, Ive said this before , Nascar Dosen't use Them , and there is a reason .

Best of luck with the pertronix 1. Since you are going to use the MSD i would invest in the MSD blaster coil since it is designed for the capacitive discharge system.
The MSD will trigger fine from the pertronix even without removing the original resistor wire.
Like Faron said the DUI-HEI distributor is an old design. However you can use the reluctor as a trigger for a MSD box.
If you are running the DUI make sure you use the nylon rotor screws to prevent arcing.
Another maintenance check is the lubrication of the centrifigul advance weights cause the high voltage present will dry up the lubricant in the advance weights real fast.
The best feature of the DUI is the ability to change advance springs & advance bushings, plus a bunch of vacuum advance cans available.
Remember the final worth of any ignition system is the proper advance curve for your application.
Cranking compression, camshaft design & static compression all figure into the equation.
With a Duraspark & HEI there are still adjusments to be made such as total vacuum advance & using an allen wrench the fine tuning of the vacuum setting in the can.
You need a handheld vacuum pump to fine tune the settings. The total vacuum advance can be achieved by using a different can for a different application & in some cases making your own mechanical stop.
99 % of the power increaces seen are because of proper advance curves.
If you don't use a sun or allen distributor machine to fine tune the advance curve for your application you are just guessing.
The machines are only as good as the experience of the operator who has experience in various engine combinations. Bill

If you are happy with the stock Load-O-Matic distributor and it is working correctly, then you may as well keep it. By installing the MSD box and triggering it with the points, you have taken most of the load off of the points and the contacts will last for many years. I have a similar setup on my old Vette and I have not replaced the points in 15 years. I guess the rubbing block may eventually wear out. In my opinion, the Pertronix is not going to give you any advantage over the current set up with the points triggering the MSD. Pertoronix is great for eliminating the adjustment and replacement of points. It provides some better starting and possibly delivers a better spark. But if the points trigger an MSD, the MSD is delivering several sparks and provides good starting qualities. And as noted above, the points maintenance becomes a thing of the past with the MSD carrying the ignition current.

If you do purchase a Pertronix, be sure to check the timing after installation. On the sets that I have installed, it seems that the timing was advanced a bit more after installation.
Doug

Back