negative battery cable ground

jeffswhite64

Here's one for ya: On the top/front of a 66 cylinder head there is a stud/bolt for attachment of the negative battery cable. What is the part number for this stud? Or what is the size-threads of this bolt. On some diagrams this stud is not shown or it is not mentioned, and on others it is shown but I can't determine how it is identified. Just trying to keep things accurate and I'm putting together a new head and don't want to use old parts or disassemble the current one.

I don't think that stud was meant to be used for a battery cable. I always thought it was used for a bracket that mounted to the air conditioner.
The battery cable went to the starter/bell housing or on the side of the alternator / a/c bracket.
I've got myself confused now.
Doug

8) on my 64 falcon the ground cable runs to a head bolt that has a hole drilled and tapped for a bolt that teh ground cable bolts to. if you want to use studs, mike at classicinlines sells a set of stud, one of which is longer so you can bolt the ground cable to that if you like.

over a variety of applications, its standard for the ground be be connected as close as possible to the starter motor (the biggest draw), often sharing a bolt with it. in theory, any bolt on the engine/transmission should work. so find the area that best fits your need. i can't say the size of a given hole, may be 5/16. 3/8, or 7/16 (all standard coarse thread, 18, 16, and 14, respectively IIRC). my preferred method for special bolts as such is to check the local junkyard for something with a comparable bolt for the application

I bought one of those bolts / studs from one of the Mustang parts houses years ago, but looking through several on line catalogs, I could not see it listed separately on any of them.
Doug

On my 65 that stud was used for the battery negative ground and a separate groud ran from the starter to the firewall IIRC. That stud was also used on the 62 motor that I've got in my garage, so I ASSUME it was standard for fords of that era.

Back