The New Guy - 250 Head on a 78 Block 200

Poppy65

Hi all
First of what I'm sure will be many posts as I get working on my 65 Mustang coupe with a 200. The car sat for the past 10+ years and the last 8 months I've worked on getting it back on the road. In the early 90's I remember the car getting a new motor (def. a new block and probably a diff head) and since then the car has no more than 5k on it. The head is a 68 code and the block is from a 78 Fairmont and it's currently got a auto in it...soon to be a 3.03 Toploader from 67 (it was a 2.77 originally)

I've done so much reading my head is still spinning. Basically I'm learning as I go with all this but it's been a great experience. I've got the Falcon Performance HAndbook coming and I'm stoked to start reading. My goal once I'm done overhauling the front end (csrp brakes, v8 spindles, and all new suspension/steering) I'm going to hit the 200. The head has a broken exhaust mount and I figured instead of trying to fix that, I would look at a new head...esp not knowing what was actually done to this poor car in the past. (way too many previous owner discoveries lately) SO, I have a lead on a 78 250 head for dirt cheap. It looks good and supposedly came off a running 200. My question I guess is...is there any particular reason to go that route or not? I've read somewhere that a late 200 block and a later 250 head is a great way to go. I know I can pick up a 200 head from several places but it was nice that the 250 popped up and is 1) cheap and 2) local. I guess I'm just not sure what I'm getting myself into.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!!

Jeremy

The 77 up heads are a good way to go, both the 200 / 250 heads are the same so it's a great find :nod:

Sweet. I'll pick it up this weekend. Even if it needs a bit of work, $75 isn't bad. I'm guessing I will probably need a different carb? Right now I have the stock 1100 and I'm guessing it's a different mount? I like keeping the original look and doing the invisible "upgrades" but I have been eyeing a 2bbl carb after lurking on this site for several months.

Welcome Jeremy,
Sounds like your starting solid, good call on suspension and brakes, it will really help you see the improvments as you go.

I started off as you, I wanted max power out of a 1bbl carb, for stock looks. rebuilt the engine and after a few dyno tunes the 1bbl would not go more than 101hp @ 80* air temp... or 95hp @ 100+ temp... even with higher ratio rockers it just wasn't going up... I was using the 1100 from pony carbs.

I then used a 2-1bbl adaptor on the dyno and picked up 30hp, no other mods, so IIWIYS I would mod the head for 2bbl or 3x1 carbs. (I think 3x1 looks vintage, this would be a good option if wanted)

I have yet to see what the 2bbl direct mount will do, I hope I will pick up more hp to help those see the total advantage of the mods available.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!
Richard

Back