Header or no header (for 200ci)?

Route--66--

Hi
Apologies if this one has already been done several times! .. (although can't see exactly what I need)

I'm about to replace my exhaust system on '65 Mustang 200ci.

I will be going with a 2" pipe all the way through but is it worth replacing the exhaust manifold with a header?

I'm not bothered about performance really, but would like a nicer exhaust note.. a nice burble would be peachy!

.. Also if I did go for a header (with the 2" pipe) would this then unbalance the system so making me need to change the carb (which I don't want to do)?

Many thanks in advance

Well, I did exactly what you propose to do but I used 1 3/4 pipe all the way back. The guys will tell you that it really doesn't matter what you do to the exhaust side if you haven't opened up the intake side. But I like the look of the header and it personalizes the project a little.

BTW, if you go single size pipe all the way back, get the V* configured muffler with the inlet and outlet on opposite ends of the can. The stock muffler is bogus, sitting transverse above the rear axle.

Always helps , sometimes a bit of tuning in addition will multiply the benifit , 6 cylinders dumping into one manifold is obviously more restrictive than say a v-8 4into 1 or a v-6 3into one , I have a header or headers on ALL , my vehicles from my 86 ford tow truck to my 2.3 powerd Ranger and it has been a plus ( except for the expense )

from what I have found, the header will make a beefier sound, absolutely will, no doubt...

performance, nope none u won't see any 'umph' in the seat, only the better sounding stock i6 because it's restricted @ the carb.

Many years ago, I started with a header and dual exhaust as my first modification and I experienced: 1) better, deeper exhaust sound, 2) 2-3 mpg increase in highway mileage, and 3) better low end torque. Most people say they didn't feel a difference in "umph" but I did on the bottom end.

Excellent!
Thanks loads for that guys, really appreciate it.
Ludwig - Thanks for that tip - will go for a muffler (called a 'silencer' over here ;) ) .. when you say V* configured.. what's that mean?

Again, thanks all (y)

Just noticed - MPGmustang where you're from.. I skirted Chandler a couple of years ago on a roadtrip with the Mrs! ..
Loved it around there .. partic the cacti :D (y)

V* is F6F representation for the dual-inline-4 block on a V configuration joined by a single crankshaft. While we often use them and even work on them, we don't usually type the standard name since this is an inline 6 board. It used to be that the program would change it to something else if you were to type in letter/numeral fashion: vee aiyt. Some guys, like me, still do it ourselves.

He was talkin about the v in muffler design commonly called delta flow such as flowmaster mufflers.

At least I believe that is what you were talking about LUDWIG in your first post of the thread.

No, I was talking about the dreaded bent eight block. But then a lot of you guys joined the board after they changed servers. One of the the older servers Mike used would chang a bunch of words without you knowing and sometimes the post wouldn't make sense afterward. One of these expressions was when you typed 'vee eight' with a letter and a number. So a lot of the older guys still do this for fun or to avoid cooties.

ludwig":1fo24qu4 said:
Well, I did exactly what you propose to do but I used 1 3/4 pipe all the way back. The guys will tell you that it really doesn't matter what you do to the exhaust side if you haven't opened up the intake side. But I like the look of the header and it personalizes the project a little.

BTW, if you go single size pipe all the way back, get the V* configured muffler with the inlet and outlet on opposite ends of the can. The stock muffler is bogus, sitting transverse above the rear axle.

This was the post you originally said v configured muffler. Unless I read this wrong

You probably read it right becase what I wrote reads wrong. I mean the the straight-thru/straight-back muffler configuration for the V eight application with the exhaust pipe that bumps up over the axle on its way straight out the back. Not the I6 muffler that sits transverse above the axle.

Howdy All:

Rt66- When you say, "Worth it" Only you can decide. Since you're replacing your exhaust system anyway, it is a good time for and up grade. So long as you're going with a 2" system let me suggest that you, at least add a turbo type muffler. It will give a nice low sound, but not be too loud. No, you will not create any imbalance that would require a carb change. You will notice better throttle response and better mileage. If this much of a maintenance upgrade costs as much as $300 consider that as a basis for comparison.

While a header is cool the initial cost, assuming adding a coating of some kind let's say $400. Now add the rest of the exhaust system, say another 150? That's approximately $550. For about the same benefits. For a difference of $250 is a header worth it? Your call. Now if you're planning other upgrades that will add more power and rpms, then a header may have added value.

Note- these prices are off the top of my head, for comparative purposes only.

Consider locating the muffler at the back of the car, between the rear bumper and the gas tank. Putting the weight back there will help the overall balance of the car.

That's my two cents, for what it's worth.

Adios, David

Back