32/36 on my +.040 200 is NOT enough carb :(

FALCONAROUND

Anyone else have issues with their Weber 2V not having enough ass to it to drive in the city without having to go to the secondaries to get a few more rpm's before shifting?

I think I'm going to get a 38 DGV and modify it to be a progressive linkage instead of sequential and see if I keep my fuel mileage up all the while having extra power when needed.

Your thoughts fella's and fellettes?

Well I don't know how much better over the Carter YF I had in there but I'd REALLY like enough ass in the primary barrel to shift through the gears and take over 3500 rpms.

Maybe a 38/38 will work.

I've been sitting on the fence a long time about which carb to go with, a progressive or a Holley/Autolite 2bbl. Your post has definitely swayed me to the latter. I've wondered whether the primary on the progressive has enough flow to make it a sensible choice.

Perhaps the accelerator pump shot could be increased?

The acc pump is not the issue, it simply runs out of air for smooth acceleration at about 2900 rpms.

I was wanting progressive because of fuel economy. The Autolite 1100 is about 170-190 CFM I think, and the Carter YF is much better flow wise but still only about 215 max.

The 32/36 DGV flows a decent 255 CFM with BOTH venturi's open but it starves my 200 cubes out in city driving well before normal shift range and I need the increased volume of the 2nd barrel to make up for that.

The Weber 38 DGAS is 380 CFM I think, and which is what my entire engine needs to run max power, but I would like to keep the driving mileage of a singel primary and the secondary for full power. Maybe I can convert the 38 to a progressive secondaries carb...

Still looking for a cheap one, I have 10 days until I leave in my Falconaround for a 2,500 mile trip to Vegas then Sacramento then home again over a 15 day period.

Howdy:

FYI- on a Ford 200 the autolite 1100 is rated at 185 cfm. The Carter YF is rated at 187 cfm.

It is not unusual to get into the secondary barrel on acceleration and higher speeds. Where the economy comes in is on steady speed driving where only the primary barrel is utilized.

Adios, David

About time somebody tells me the correct CFM numbers, Where did you get them and how can the 1.5" venturi of the 1100 compete with the 1.75 " YF by less than 3 CFM? That's preposterous to think of and partially offensive :)

Is there a Calculator that allows an average Venturi size flow chart? It's killing me not knowing how to calculate the ACTUAL FLOW OF A CARB by the venturi size! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

But to address another comment, I'm wanting power and wanting to retain my fuel economy. The tri-power would keep my economy the same running off the center carb... Not make it better by a better carb design...

The following statements are based on actual use of the Weber 32/36 carb, not just theory.

The 32/36 has been used primarily on small four cylinder cars in the Ford empire, Kent OHV's from 1300 to 1800, Pinto and Lima OHC's from 1300 to 2300. So its Small. Without a rework of the venturi sizes, its a 110 hp carb tops, with140 hp possible at a pinch with a good aircleaner and ideal jetting.

In 1974, it was used on Capri Cologne 2600 V6's, then 2800 V6's for a year or two, Capris, Aerostars, Bronco II's. In Australia, our 200 and 250 sixes used a similar varaint, the ADM 34, which had bigger venturis, and worked better.

The 32/36 is not too small for performance on a 200/3.3 I6, but if you use the stock venturis, it will be at transition at about 2500 onwards wide open throttle.

My suggestion is to go to enlarge the venturis 29 and 31 mm , and rejet. Do a search on my old posts, there's a recent "how to do"

:shock: Hi FAR.I don`t thing "hog out"is the term.I would think that using a brake cylinder hone to get close,and then finish with something like emory cloth or VERY fine wet or dry sandpaper to finish to the size that you want,and also polish the finished size.
Xctasy.Am I correct?
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

IIRC the 32/36 is rated around 278cfm. That should be enough carb, but yeah you will need to hit the secondaries to get it moving.

IMHO thats half the fun, feeling the secondaries kicking in :D

No need to hit secondaries to get moving only to move past 2900 rpm while in gear.

Hogging out is an endearing term to me :) I think a progressive 38MM would be a SUPERB candidate for both Power AND fuel mileage.

FALCONAROUND":387x482r said:
Hey, what's with the little gold falcon guy near my name??

Where, I don't C it from here?
A "smilie"?

FALCONAROUND":362to8ca said:
Sorry Chad, I was drunk... What's with the little Gold penguin looking guy next to my name on the left?

Still don't C it, U must have the hi priced subscription to frd6?
Good luck w/the carb...

Howdy Back:

"About time somebody tells me the correct CFM numbers, Where did you get them and how can the 1.5" venturi of the 1100 compete with the 1.75 " YF by less than 3 CFM? That's preposterous to think of and partially offensive"

I got the CFM numbers from several sources; FoMoCo service manuals as well as Pony's Ford Carburetor Guide. I'm guessing the 1.5' and 1.75" measurements you're referring to are throttle bore diameters. The venturi is the narrowest part of the throat of the carb, above the butterflys. THe inner diameter of the venturi on both the 1100 and the YF from 200s measure 1.2". I think the 2 cfm difference between the two carbs comes from a slightly different venturi booster, the donut looking thing located inside the venturi. I assumed you were looking for detailed information. I did not think that I was being offensive. Sorry, If I came across that way. One of the strength of this forum is accurate information. That's what I was attempting to provide for you.

"Is there a Calculator that allows an average Venturi size flow chart? It's killing me not knowing how to calculate the ACTUAL FLOW OF A CARB by the venturi size!"

You might want to check out the calculator on our website. The link is in my signature below. On the left is a button called "Compression Calculator". Included in the calculator is a cfm rating to achieve that rpm, with a specified level of Volumetric Efficiency (VE) along with a specific engines data. It does not give a venturi size flow chart.

Adios, David

To know the actual flow of a carb you would need to use a flow bench. Next best you would need to use the manufactures flow rate.

Back