Balancer troubles

Beaus67

Hello again and an early Merry Christmas to all. Life definitely has a way of throwing you a curve every now and then, one week before Thanksgiving my 85 year old father has 3 heart attacks in as many days (he “walked” the first two off!). Got to give it to those WWII vets, their as tough as nails. After a few days in the hospital he’s home and doing well but of course the engine build came to a screeching halt. Then came Thanksgiving (plenty to be thankful for) family and football so I haven’t gotten as far as I hoped, I did however, get the short block completed. Now a problem/question, my new balancer (double groove) measures 6 1/8” overall. My old balancer (single groove) measures 5 13/16" overall, all other specs are identical but it doesn’t fit under the raised area on the timing cover that has the timing marks. Now of course if it was 5/16 smaller (the same size overall as my old balancer) things would be fine. Did I get the wrong balancer? Is there a different timing cover for a double groove balancer? Anybody experience this problem and have a fix/solution? My research indicates this balancer should fit. :banghead:
Thanks in advance for any information anyone can provide.
Bill

DSC05734.jpg

My wife reminds me daily that its winter and she would like to park in the garage

DSC05732.jpg

starting to come togeother

Howdy Bill:

How many pulley bolt holes are in the new balancer? How many in the old one? A larger diameter crankshaft balancer pulley will speed up your belt drive. Once again, the devil is in the details.

Best wishes for your Grandpa. Merry to you too.

Adios, David

Thanks Explorer, Im sure I ordered for a 67 200ci but I'm just as sure I got a late model balancer. My fault for not checking every part that I ordered very carfully. I will not make that mistake again, too costly to have to order parts twice. Wish I would have known about Damper Doctor earlier, thanks for the heads up. David, The new balancer has 4 pully holes the old one has 3, again my fault for not thinking ahead and checking fit and style of every part before actually needing it. Still this build had gone surprisingly well when I have had the time to work on it.
Thanks
Bill

Bill, if you ordered the balancer from us (Classic Inliines), you can return it for the right one. Sounds like you have a 78-83 balancer, which has the larger diameter, but need a 63-77 balancer. The later balancers were also four bolt, while the earlier ones are three bolt. I have both rebuilt and new in stock.

Mike offers the best deal on balancers. Visit his website or give him a call or email.

He has already done the leg work & has the balancer in stock at the best price. Bill

Back