Custom Intake

garyt120r

Has anyone ever milled off the intake manifold and tried fabricating one? Is there enough meat in the head for studs to do this???

garyt120r":2vqdma2w said:
Has anyone ever milled off the intake manifold and tried fabricating one? Is there enough meat in the head for studs to do this???

Yes, Many, many times.

And yes, there is just enough iron to do the job.

Ist sawn off log head was in 1960 via a Holman Moody weld on adaptor. There's nothing you can't do...

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc5 ... ewpic2.jpg

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc5 ... ewpic3.jpg

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc5 ... ewpic4.jpg

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc5 ... ewpic5.jpg

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc5 ... e6/996.jpg

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc5 ... e6/998.jpg

In the early Noughtees, Al the Hackmiester attacked one with a sawzall, and then lots of people got onto the Sawn Off Log Bandwagon. By 2008, three had been made, two in parallel deveolpement (fast64Ranchero in Boise, Idaho, and JGTurbo in Portland, Oregon), and third which we have heard about but not seen.

One of them is one of the highest hp 250 engines to date, in a Fox body Zephyr with a turbo charger and 4-bbl intake. Magic stuff. See the Turbo, Supercharger and Nitrous forum, Mill'd head Time Slip by fast64Ranchero.

See also Mod-Log Turbo'd 250 Build by JGTurbo in the same forum

Then there is the Argentine SP 221 3.6 Liter and ME 188 3.1 liter engines, which are basically a factory sawn off log head with a Holman Moody style adaptor cast into the head. Header is straight up and down, just like the 1960 Holman Moody examples.

The olds Aussie 2v and new Alloy Arizona Classic Inlines engines use the stock exhast header arrangement, and are a halfway house between a sawn off log and the standard set-up.

And since 1965 in Australia, another halfway house, the Blattman kit was used to weld a plate on the log, and get three 1.75" H6 SU carbs flowing enough air to exceed well over 200 hp.

There's nothin' you can't do

8) some advice when cutting off the log;

1: have a plan for what you want to do. for instance do you want to just cut off the log itself and use the stock exhaust ports? or do you want to slice everything off and build everything custom?

2: take your time. if you are going to be successful you need to go slow to avoid ruining a good head.

3: cut off less than you want on the initial cut so you can trim as needed.

4: take many measurements with the engine installed so that when you design your new intake you dont run into the shock towers, or have other issues pop up on you.

if you do decide to do this, post up pics of your project here so others can benefit from your experience.

Really interesting. I want to make an EFI manifold out of aluminum tubing. Sort of like the 300 EFI motors. It's in a '66 Bronco, so I'm not worried about clearance issues. I'll see if I can find a spare head somewhere and size it up to see if it's worthwhile. Could be fun. Although I have a lot of projects on the go, not sure when I would get a chance to do this one. Glad to know it's a possibility when I get some items on my to-do list done.

argentine heads - circular ports:

argentine3.jpg

argentine4.jpg

argentine5.jpg

argentine1.jpg

argentine6.jpg

argentine2.jpg

gb500":2t9tqz7k said:
E0(1980) head milled flat-note port shapes compared to argentine heads
E0MilledFlat.jpg
I can see the larger intake holes and the square exhaust holes but what are the smaller round holes, there is only 4?

I wonder now if it's even possible to do something with the logges all shaved off...

Now that CI has a brazing technieque availible, I wonder how much mod'n can be done to these heads. but I really like the idea where the intake and exhause share different angles, that I think would be the best way to go using an 'fire extinguiser' with 6 ports out to increase flow.

then it comes down to price... do you that much of a performance gain over the stock large log vs teh modified one?

8) the four smaller round holes are where the core plugs go to prevent you losing all your coolant. :mrgreen:

There's an important difference between the Argentine heads (SP) and the log heads, still after that plate welding modification:

In the Argentine heads the intake and exhaust are at 90º
In the log heads, both are at 45º

This difference allows you to reach better flow rates with a modified log head than an SP.

Here's a shot of a C1 head that I chopped several years back. Note the round ports vs the later squarish ports.

choppedhead.jpg

Rick(wrench)

1961 australian xk (roundbody) period touring car.

rules require essentally as were i the 60's -with manifold ,cam and carbs free

have look at the tripple webber carbs and intake .

assume log machined off to leave stubs. still a 170ci...

dude mentions 280hp....

i cant find any stills .

and am unsure how to imbed youtube vids

but here is 3min linky:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QTgb4knAuI

Very nicely done, with Opel Manta 400/ XE/XF 4.1/F150 4.9 EFI style long intake runners. Its port on port, which could put power at 280 hp at as low as 6500 rpm from 170 cubes.

And an example of how carbs or efi can be taken right over the engine bay like Cosworth did for Opels killer 2 wheel drive Manta 400...it can be done!

This is proof positive of what I've said for ages...port on port carburation, Ak Millar style, makes huge power with not a lot more revs.

rocklord":1e8g5uj1 said:
280HP from 170 cubes with a 4 main crank!

Sure. The four bolt main crank is about 6 pounds heavier than the 200 crank, shorter stroke and longer rod than the 200, and even the little 144 could survive 8600 rpm in hydrofoil racers. As for 280 hp, well the ArgentineTC3000 racers were doing upwards of 380 hp with just a Weber 2-bbl , so it all lookes perfectly reliable and reasonable.

pikesan":1e8g5uj1 said:
love this discussion... anyone messing with one of these now?

Yeah, still a good perecentage of us here! Ever since the Clifford forum stopped in the early n0ughties, people started looking at the log intake being the pinch point. Even with six 1.3" ports on the early 170 head, there is enough port area to make well over 300 hp. The" grind off the log lobby " has to realise the log it is the best intake coat hanger around, and now were looking at how to 'leave the log' and still make power.

tri-power 250":1e8g5uj1 said:
How did the twin carburetor setup work?
Ken

It has triple DCOE 45 mm Weber carbs and six long centre branch 1.5" tube intakes. It has much longer runners than is ideal (6" max), but that would help low end torque without hurting power. Total intake runner based on the 16 inch length required to pacakage six intake tracts is 2800 cc's, plus the normal 800 cc from the stock 170 cylinder head, same as I have on my car. The total intake volume is therefore 3600 cc's, or 128% of the total engine capacity, much longer and larger than ideal, but clearly adequate to make huge power.

Paul Knotts method is basically Ak Millars Horsing around with the Mustang Six method, but fully port on port with flex pipe and well mounted stainless pipe and triple DCOE's rather than SS or Keihins or SU's. And that's where the power comes from.

Back