Which Oil Filter??

Route--66--

Sorry if this has already been done but I think my Fram PH8A is maybe the cause of lifter tick when cold and also some other strange noises that seem to have started appearing since I installed it in August.

What is the BEST filter I can get for my 1965 200ci (with anti flowback valve of course)???

I am in the Uk so possibly I can't get the same as in the US

Am pretty sure I could get motorcraft (FL1A?)
maybe champion
maybe a 'better' quality fram..?
Champion probably available ...

THANKS !

You can't go wrong with the Motorcraft. Oil filter discussions are rampant, with lots of opinions, but never heard anything bad about a Motorcraft.

The FL-1A isn't bad , a Mobil 1 or a Bosch equiv is also good , one way to tell a good Filter in a sec is to look down into it and if you see a Orange Rubber deal its a good one as it uses a synthetic one way valve ( the FL1A doesn't) but its got a good valve and a good media inside , STAY away from Fram Standard Filters , ( the Race is still good ) problem is Oil has gotten Thinner ( for lack of a better term ) and MOST BUT not all MFG's have changed the media to accommodate that change ,, Example 0w20 5w30 etc when you try and push a high viscosity oil say 15w40 20w50 or any straight weight oil through it it can rip or completely detach inside , plugging the filter NOT GOOD , Chevy's have the most trouble with that problem , but I play it safe and use what Ive researched and cut apart , I build engines and don't want warranty problems , nuff said

Fram --- definately stay away from, have heard several horror story. Have personally seen two blow the can off. One on a drag engine and one new on a neighbor's car first start up after he changed oil.

Ditto on the WIX & NAPA Filters,and yes the stock # is easy to remember. With over 80 Cars to look after,I tend to buy stuff like Filters in bulk :shock: :LOL: ;) ! ~OO6.

Basically, anything but FRAM.

Wix/NAPA

Motorcraft

Mobil 1

I've used all those with success. There is a website of someone disecting oil filters, and basically Fram is just crap with bright orange paint, some grip tape at the bottom, and a lot of advertising.

I'm with CobraSix:

Fram is the only brand I've experienced oil pressure variations with.

Have Fun

Route--66--":33kft6h1 said:
Sorry if this has already been done but I think my Fram PH8A is maybe the cause of lifter tick when cold and also some other strange noises that seem to have started appearing since I installed it in August.
What is the BEST filter I can get for my 1965 200ci (with anti flowback valve of course)???
I am in the Uk so possibly I can't get the same as in the US
Am pretty sure I could get motorcraft (FL1A?)
maybe champion
maybe a 'better' quality fram..?
Champion probably available ...
THANKS !

Let us know on any location/supply issues for the
Wix/NAPA, Motorcraft, Mobil 1 filters
:D

Cheers guys (y)
I have posted on a UK site too and a USA guy who knows UK too said that Fram in America for some reason isn't as good quality as UK .. so I might go for the fram extra-guard ...maybe. .. or motorcraft .. have called a local ford dealer who say they can get one next day (y)
With Wix I have looked and does look like I can get one here - although this useful article shows Wix at below average for anti-drainback .. which is what I need the most ..
http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=58887

Cheers loads again chaps (y)

powerband":2xjylnfq said:
I'm with CobraSix:

Fram is the only brand I've experienced oil pressure variations with.

Have Fun

I have seen some really high pressures(75-80psi) above 1500rpm on a cold angine with a Bosch filter.

I'm not promoting the use of Fram filters. While I ran them for years with no problems, I did have two burst on me. Both were on aircooled VW engines with a remote filter setup. The VW engine can develop 150 psi of oil pressure internally. I figure with no more range for error than that, I would not use them again. In fact, every Fram I personally have heard of bursting, were on these engines. It's just not worth taking the chance to me. Engines are a lot more expensive than filters. Good luck with whatever you choose.

thank you, nice article...
so K&N or Mobile 1 for a heep. I don't drive 1 tho. Do we need an antidrain back?

Not sure if any of you have a New Holland dealer in your area. New Holland carries a good filter thats built great but priced lower then Motorcraft. Use them on our tractor and my cars.

My 2 cents

Back