Engine wont turn with tranny connected

I have a 65 mustang that i just did an engine swap on the engine ran before i put it in and the crank turns without the tranny bolted to it and when the torque converter only is bolted to it. the moment the bellhousing is bolted to the block the crank refuses to turn.

Either converter is not back all the way or there is a pilot bushing in the crank snout ( from a stick shift application ) if your lucky and did not draw it down all the way , you MAY not of hurt the transmission , check it out

maybe the torque converter is hitting the bellhousing? it's easy to get things crooked...

also, maybe the TC needs fluid in it?
did you try turning it with the spark plugs out?
what are using to turn it? (starter? check the battery)

It will all be trial and error, more error for every trial but you should find somthing.

Please tell us you did NOT bolt the converter to the flex plate, then bolt up the transmission.

If you did, the trans pump is damaged.

The torque converter needs to go on the tranny first, then the engine goes in, then you bolt the two together through the inspection plate and I also use the starter hole.

FalconSedanDelivery":2gic1xvr said:
Either converter is not back all the way or there is a pilot bushing in the crank snout ( from a stick shift application ) if your lucky and did not draw it down all the way , you MAY not of hurt the transmission , check it out
My guess also.

65stang200six":2f5tztbe said:
I have a 65 mustang that i just did an engine swap on the engine ran before i put it in and the crank turns without the tranny bolted to it and when the torque converter only is bolted to it. the moment the bellhousing is bolted to the block the crank refuses to turn.
I think you'll find that the pump in the Trans is siezed.

Back