200ci with Bike carbs

Saw it a few weeks back when searching your Youtube clips, Richard. Sawn off log just like the Aussie Blattman kit in the early 60's.It idles nice if you eliminate the air noise due to the lack of proper air cleaner and flame arrester, just like all independent runner set-ups. When your not fighting rampant air/fuel ratio swings like on 1,2-bbl and triple 1-bbl set-ups, you can find a new standard of docility.

That is the worlds best way to make maximum torque, an independent runner carb set-up. What works for maximum power, also works for maximum torque. Ak Millar did four Honda Keihin's on a 1966 200 back in the day, and on the Schedahl's website, there were pictures of GSX Suzuki 650 carbs on a early 70's Aussie 250. So, to rephrase Caroll Shelby's Ford Total Performance blurb on tri-power small blocks, its an elixar in six strengths to cure all ills.

It has six CV bike carbs just like the above average Jack Collins alloy head 200 in his Locost, and won't suit the average Joe or Jane. Jack (Mustangsix) has listed the issues to contend with when making a six carb car work, but the problems are not hard to overcome if cam and ignition and jetting is baselined properly.

MPGmustang":ar1jtbfl said:
X it's funny u mentioned those posts... I think I see a pattern :LOL:

we all know that 6 1bbl carbs would be really nice on the 200ci, but most daily drivers aren't going to do that lol... so lets make it more realistic, which includes the variable valve timing, and we should probably lower the torque to a usable street too... but the 6000rpm numbers sound good, just most often people just don't aim their engines that high... this is more towards the avg joe (or jane ;) ) rebuilding their i6 for more grunt, but with out going radical or going all out for hp.

Hey X, I hardly believe this was the cast iron head but it is.

I'm getting VERY tempted to try this or something else radical to the cast iron head, I'm just not accustomed to making my own engine parts as we all know I'm the least skilled. In fact I have you to thank for bringing me into a deeper knowledge of these sixes, I know I barely scratched the surface but still wonder what else can be done "simply" but I am starting to see that nothing is simple in the i6 crowd and I almost want to start taking some chances. the only down side is the car, it's a daily driver.

Thought you'd like it.

Guys:

Just to follow up on xctasy's reference to Ak Miller's four carb experiment, you can find the article on that build in the following publication:

Complete Book of Engines
3rd Annual Edition by the Editor's of Hot Rod Magazine
Copyright 1967 by Peterson Publishing Company
Article: "Go, Pony, Go!" by Ak Miller
Pages 114 through 123

Just an FYI, immediately following that article is another called "Magnum Six!" by John Christy that detail another Ak Miller build of a stroker 240ci Ford six with three side draft Webers.

Russ

russk":1o5jp54w said:
Guys:

Just to follow up on xctasy's reference to Ak Miller's four carb experiment, you can find the article on that build in the following publication:

Complete Book of Engines
3rd Annual Edition by the Editor's of Hot Rod Magazine
Copyright 1967 by Peterson Publishing Company
Article: "Go, Pony, Go!" by Ak Miller
Pages 114 through 123

Just an FYI, immediately following that article is another called "Magnum Six!" by John Christy that detail another Ak Miller build of a stroker 240ci Ford six with three side draft Webers.

Russ

not sure whats in the reference you posted BUT can see a hot rod article on it here : ( classic inlines site no less):

http://www.classicinlines.com/HA5.asp

PS if you have the article -sure would like to see it if different to the link i posted

gb500:

I haven't been able to find a web version of the article(s) but there are listings where you can buy the original publication. I have had that publication in my library since I bought it back in 1967 and those two articles were instrumental in developing my interest in inline sixes. To scan it in, I would have to destroy the book and then there's that little matter of copyright law ...

The article you pointed to over on the Classic Inlines site is a synopsis of the two articles I listed and, as I recall, Bud Lang was part of the Hot Rod Magazine gang for many years.

Russ

Back