Offenhauser on 250 head?

schaferstephen

I gotta question, yawl. In light of just finding some broken exhaust bolts in my 200 log head, I now have a good excuse to upgrade the cylinder head. I'm looking for a 250 log head, because I can't afford a CI head, and even if I could find an Aussie head I probably couldn't afford that either. So I'm thinking that I'll find a 250 log head, get a three way valve job, ported, polished, hardened valve seats etc., and just live with a little bit of leaking exhaust till then.

Here's my question: I'd like to put the Offenhauser intake on the new 250 head. But I'm not sure thats possible with the stock log. I saw a thread where someone talked about putting the Offenhauser on a 250 head, and he was talking about cutting the log off, having it milled smooth, etc and installing the Offenhauser on that. If somebody could shed some light on this, or just some advice on how to properly carb the 250 head, I'd really appreciate it!! :D

Thanks all!

as far as i know the 200, 250 are the same and can interchange the later years 77-80 have bigger valves that would be nice to have if your building a new head. i think you're best bet would be to mill the log for a 2v carb and get the plate from classic inlines the linkage and fuel lines will be much simpler.

the d7 (77) and later hex head is the large log head, and is the one you want, followed by I think the 77 flat top, then the c9 (69) flat top which I have. There are different adapter kits for flat and hex logs.

I'm definitely gonna get a 250 head for the better flow rates. I'm not sure if I'm gonna do a 2brl, or do the tri carb, but it will definitely be the 250 head. I just want to see if the tri carb is even an option.

The later 200 head will flow better than the early 250 head.

Don't pass on a 200 head just because you are looking for a 250 head. The later 200 and 250 used the same head.

rocklord":3d8bj9id said:
The later 200 head will flow better than the early 250 head.

Don't pass on a 200 head just because you are looking for a 250 head. The later 200 and 250 used the same head.

When you say "later," what year do you mean? I've heard the.... 78-83 or so? 250 heads are supposed to have real good flow rates.

Check this page out: http://www.classicinlines.com/SmallSixS ... #SSgeneral

The 77 and after 200 used the same head as the 250; the valves, combustion chamber size and log intake volumes are the same size. Look for the casting codes beginning with D7, E0, and E1.
These 200 heads should flow the same as the 250 head of the same year.

All I'm trying to say is don't get tunnel vision looking just for a head off of a 250. By expanding your search for both 200 and 250 heads, you'll be able to find a head that you want.

Mustangs, mavricks, comets, Granadas, Fairmonts, Broncos look at the casting Number on the head the first 2 letters tell you the casting year (eg E0 would mean 1980 D8 1978 etc.)

schaferstephen":25mosmh6 said:
Thanks yall. I'm gonna head to pullapart and see what I can dig up!

if U find an extra D7xxx head lemmie know
;-)
, anything over 10 yr/o goes to the crusher round here.
8^0

That head is a late model head D7 up it has the large flat top log. And it will have hard seats etc for unleaded fuel. (y)

Yes all US made small sixes 144 to 250 the heads came with an integral log style intake early ones are round tops and later ones 200 to 250 are flat tops. My 77 Maverick 250 (D7) is just like that one I think that maybe flat top logs go back as far as D5 (75) castings too. :nod:

Cool, thanks! So I need to find a D7, D8, E0, or E1 with the hardened valve seats, then just make sure I get the correct Offenhauser intake for either the flat top or round top log? Doesn't sound TOO bad.. knock on wood!

Well yes if you go for the D7 or 8 and E0 or 1 you use the offy intake made for a flat top or you can also use 2 bolton type carb adapters for end carbs and use it with the stock center carb mount. :nod:

Back