Filter messing with choke

hotrodford

I just recently bought a stock air cleaner for my 170 and it pushes my choke and can't get any fuel to the engine. I had a little filter that was on the carb and everything worked fine. I want the original type but will go back to the little one if I have to. Any Ideas please. Thanks

:unsure: Do you have some pictures of your parts? It will help to tell if you have the right combo of parts. :nod:

My carb does not look like the. It's similar but not exact. The choke linkage is very different. Guess I need to start looking for an original carb somewhere and make due with the set up I have for now.

There is one thing that comes to mind if you don't place the air cleaner base on the right way it can cause interference. :nod:

I had to look for a while because something looked off , then - Bingo ! Someone adapted an automatic choke to manual and the linkage for that sticks up too high . You could try to rework that or point the air cleaner the right way with the snorkle over the valve cover pointed toward the driver side shock tower and "dimple" the base over the choke to get some clearance .

Well you do have an Autolite carb however it has someone's homemade choke parts to convert an automatic coke to a manual coke. To fix it right and assumes that your carb is in good condition, you need to return it to an auto coke or find the stock type manual coke parts (good). Or get an after market manual coke kit this moves the choke linkage to the cover instead of were its at (also ok) Find another carb to replace it and lastly (not as Good) you could cut the air cleaner base and weld so it has clearance. :nod:

hotrodford":nttucgxr said:
Also, where can I get a rebuild kit for this carb and a gasket kit for the engine?
Now yer talkin! Why get a whole new one if the other's fine?

You should be able to get gaskets at almost any parts house , especially the bigger ones . These parts are not all common enough to keep in stock but are available . My radiator sprang a leak a while back and took the head gasket with it . O'Reilly had the gaskets I wanted to me in 3 days IIRC [it was over a weekend] and they show a carb kit for your 1100 . Most other places should be able to help also .

You can luck out some times I walked in to autozone before looking for a 1940 holley carb kit. Suprised me when they had it in stock. (y)

Hello everyone, it has been awhile since I have gotten to work on my car, only trying to collect parts. Being in the Army I have to go where they send me,but I'm back. Now back to this subject of the choke rigging on the carb. Bubba2349 and oldgrezmonke said my carb has a manual and automatic choke installed, which one is correct for my carb? Automatic or manual? I have got a lot of parts in and also would like to fix this as I have time now. Also, depending on which is correct, what parts will I need to make it right? Thanks, Bill

Welcome back hotrodford, that carb had a auto choke. To know if your car came with an auto choke would need to look at the car for a few other signs ie exhaust manifold would have hole in it for the heat stove tube to fit. Besides the stove you will also need the choke cover and gasket. To be able to tell you what else would need to see another picture of that side of the carb. Good luck

Back