Throttle Linkage interference after installng headers

jlopes

I just installed Classic Inlines headers and just found out that they interfere with the throttle linkage.
Those of you that have installed these headers what have you done to get around this issue?

You need to do a manual adjust to bend the part of the arm over the pipes down to horizontal.

IMG_0222.jpg

When you do the bend in the engine compartment, you also have to bend the pedal extension upward from the floor. I heated the part over the pipes with a propane torch. YOu might have to do the same at the foot feed. You can also do a bell crank or a cable throttle. I got an extra z-bar linkage in case I couldn't get it right -- which I didn't the first time. If you mark the linkage with a scratch or something you can get the bend in the right place.

I tried cutting the bar in half at the firewall and clamping it with a sleeve pipe and set screws. Didn't work because the sleeve was too soft to get the screws down real hard. Other guys have done something similar by welding the cut joint together. That way you don't have to pull the pedal link up. I don't weld so I did the hot bend.

BTW, those z-bars are not very hard to find. Nobody wants to scavenge parts for swapping IN a 6.

I decided to go the cable route and after attempting to route the cable from one side of the carb to the other I see that I get less than 3/4 open throttle before the cable end hits the carb. :banghead:

Has anyone installed a throttle cable with the autolite 1100???

How did you route the cable so you get wot?

Did you do a search on 'cable throttle'? There are so many variants and successful adaptations here.

Back