250 swap 63 falcon

linkfalcon

new here 63 falcon wanna do a 250 swap out of a comet whats easiest way to do it car has a 170 i think in it now going to use a c4 i have from pa trans

aslo heard abou people doing a 300 head swap no the 250 how does this work and can it be done thanks

The 240 & 300 (Big Sixes) Heads will interchange on the the big six blocks they won't fit a 250. The 200 and 250 (Small Sixes) heads will interchange on the the small six blocks. The late model engines used the same head for both the 200 and 250 engines.

linkfalcon":1nv4r3aq said:
cool how easy is a 250 swap and how much power do people got out of there 250s

definitely cool
, not bolt-in easy in early cars as 250 added length and added height make it less "bolt-in" than a 170/200. The Schehldal brother's book "FalconSixPerformance" available everywhere has excellent description of anticipated mods to steering, cooling etc for 250. ...definitely worth it., 250 is basically "stroked" 200 with more stock low end grunt and plenty of options for real performance. ...depending on resources and expectations...

HAve Fu

250 in '61 Comet:

I think you will get more responses to your post in the small six section. :nod:

I have a 250 and all the running gear ready to go, to swap into something. Hoping soon, been searching for a decent early body Falcon, Comet, Mustang, or even a Maverick as long as it is a 1975 or older so can mod it by current Ca Smog rules. Good luck on your swap :nod:

linkfalcon":15v3o1vw said:
WHAT PARTS SHOULD I START BUYING i got a c4 and bell and stater
Shoot, that's easy. Anything that comes up cheap that would work on a 250. A head, a distributor, spare rocker assemblies, but always be watching for the elusive pulled while running motor/transmission combo for cheap.

Maybe buy some new motor mounts and figure out how you want to run the throttle linkage/cable while collecting parts, maybe collect a couple spare cards (1 or 2 bbl) and figure out what you want for induction and how to get air into the motor since the 250 has reduced hood clearance.

Save the money for good exhaust and maybe headers, don't spend it until you have the motor ready to go in.

In short, research, collect, and save up some money until you can no longer stand the wait or a deal falls into your lap.

-ron

For the best info on the engine parts to use you should pickup The Ford Falcon Six Cylinder Performance Handbook or you can also do some searching through the sites older posts on different engine builds.

The Ford Falcon Six Cylinder Performance Handbook
http://www.classicinlines.com/products.asp?cat=73

:unsure: Because the 250 engine is 1.66 inches taller and a bit longer than a 170 or 200 it's going to take a few different parts from other Fords to fit it into an early Falcon, Comet, or a Mustang. You can slot the stock Falcon six frame mounts to help lower the engine a little or pickup the 250 Maverick mounts and frame brackets to lower the engine even more. Use a Maverick or 3.3L Mustang (Fox body) air cleaner which are lower or use a custom one. 250 water pump sets higher so there might be clearance problems with some bodies styles between the fan and the top radiator hose you could also use an electric fan to cure that issue. A 250 water pump has bigger outlet so use a Maverick 250 lower rad. hose. On C4 trans, you will need a V8 bell housing and torque converter and a 250 Flex plate (ie flywheel from a 250 Maverick or Granada etc.) and you need a 250 or small block V8 starter. If the plan is on using the stock exhaust manifold a head pipe from 250 Maverick or 69-70 Mustang may work or get one bent at muffler shop to fit. When hunting for the 250 make sure to get all the accessory brackets and fuel and vacuum lines they will be needed, as the 200 six stuff will not fit. You will need a cable throttle linkage or you can rework the stock Falcon parts to raise it higher. Chassis parts there are many chooses you can look for a 63 to 65 Falcon / Comet V8 rear axle if you want to convert to 5 lug or use a 75 to 77 Maverick 250 or V8 8 inch rear. If you want to stay with 4 lugs some of the early Mavericks / Comets 70 to 74 had 8 inch with 4 lugs. For the front are lots of ways to go from drum to disk brakes. I don't think that you have to move the rad forward especially if you go with and electric fan unit. Good luck :nod:

Back