62 Ranch gets 200 cubes ** pics **

The_DropOut

Howdy.

Here are some pics of my 200ci build from beginning to end.

This is the first motor I've built in 20 years. I built it over the winter of '11/'12. Funny things that happed on this build were.

1. 1969 head has 1.75" fuel log bore. Single barrel carb spacers are rare as hens teeth, had to fab my own.
2. Ordered push rods 1" too short.
3. Installed lifters then forgot and spun motor (on rebuild stand) upside down. One lifter slid out of place but never fell to the floor (Thanks goodness).
4. Had machine shop deck my exhaust manifold. and on the day I got it back I found the stainless headers offered by FordSix and had to have them.

The lame-o exhaust collector you see pictured here is soon to change. I had no clue what to do so I whipped this up. But after reading several good posts on exhaust ( on this forum ) I have some great ideas.

Enjoy.

200ci-001.jpg

200ci-002.jpg

200ci-003.jpg

200ci-004.jpg

200ci-005.jpg

200ci-007.jpg

200ci-010.jpg

200ci-008.jpg

200ci-009.jpg

200ci-011.jpg

200ci-012.jpg

200ci-013.jpg

200ci-014.jpg

200ci-015.jpg

200ci-016.jpg

200ci-017.jpg

200ci-018.jpg

200ci-019.jpg

200ci-021.jpg

200ci-022.jpg

200ci-023.jpg

200ci-025.jpg

200ci-026.jpg

200ci-027.jpg

Thanks.

...oooohh - nicessss...
great play-by-play pics, I like the individuality of the car and those tail lights make it ( early 60's Dodge? ).

The Ranchero drives / runs great! It fires up with just a hint of choke, then wants nothing to do with it. It accelerates nicely and runs strong upto about 50mph. Above 50mph the gearing lets the motor down and I feel the motor is working too hard. But, I'm not use to what this motor can do, so for me 2500rpm seems like a lot of work, and if I want to go 60mph I have do somewhere around 2500.

Later this winter I will swap out my 3 speed for a T5.

I'm also looking for some longer final drive gears, I currently have 3.50:1. The 7.25 ring & pinion came in 3.20 & 3.10. I dont know these would be too drastic and hurt my city driving much.

Also the clutch chatters while easing off the pedal during take off and between when shifting into second gear. I can get the clutch to not chatter when shifting to second gear if I dont apply any gas during the upshift process. But during take off you have to accelerate a little while you let the clutch out of you'll stall the motor, so first gear usually has a bit of chatter. I was told this is common. (brand new clutch, through out bearing, pilot bearing, flywheel was resurfaced and looked beautiful.)

-----------

Tail light buckets are out of a 1961 Ford Galaxie and the lenses are from a 1955 Ford. Nothing but Ford stuff on my machine!!!

-----------

Cam is a Schnieder Racing Cam 256/256 grind.

-------

Thanks Leo. :beer:

Howdy Leo:

Kudos!!!! Sweet P-cup. I drive a '65 Roo. Yours' is too cool!!!

You might want to wait on swapping rear gears until you get the T-5 installed. It will have a lower 1st gear and a way better OD gear.

What Distributor are you using?

Adios, David

Congrats :beer: Very nice work! Personally I don't think your exhaust collector looks that lame at all...very clean fab from what appears to be a collection of 'pieces' (you must have some experience welding ;) ). I'd be interested to hear how it sounds, if you have happen to have a clip.

Yeah, a little chatter can be expected with a new disc and flywheel resurfacing. I bet it gets better with some driving. There is a 4 spring disc and a 6 spring disc available. I think the 4 springs is given to a bit more chatter...my 4 spring chattered a bit throught the first 100-500 miles IIRC...all gone now (although I probably put a 6 spring disc in when the time comes).

AFAIK the 7.25's most common ratios were 3.2 (manual) & 2.79 (auto). Your 3.5 should work well with a bent8 T-5.

Curious so I gotta ask what's up with the 'tiki' motif decals...being over 40 it may just be a pop culture reference lost on me :LOL:

Sweet ride 8) (y)

AFAIK the 7.25's most common ratios were 3.2 (manual) & 2.79 (auto). Your 3.5 should work well with a bent8 T-5....

... interesting , wonder if it's a regional DSO thing?. , never saw any Falcon six 3 speed with any ratio other than 3.50 in NE . as noted, 3.50 works well with .68 V8 T5-OD ratio and low gears...

Heave Fun

'63 170/V8 T5/3.50 OEM rear
'61 250 / V8 T5 /3.80 posi Mav' 8"

looks awesome and I love the car. You're right about the y-pipe, a bit short and those corrugated bends aren't doing you any favors. try going with secondaries about twice the length of the average of the primaries. You can get inexpensive mandrel bends and a mandrel bent y-pipe from mandrel bending solutions. For the best fit, though, you'll want to get a pair of custom bends to get the exact angle, which cost a bit more.

Actually, if you made that y-pipe contraption yourself then you are good to go with using the standard 45* bends. you can reuse your header adapters, get a pair of 45* bends, a y-pipe, and a piece of straight to cut to the right length. According to David Vizard, you should aim for the diameter of the secondaries to be primary diameter x 1.75. This is for a race application, though, and he has also demonstrated that it is worse to go too large than too small, so I am working with 1.5 as the multiplier for a street system. Keep this in mind when ordering your y-pipe as you may wish to have a larger outlet than the two inlets.

For example:
Cliffords header has 1.5" primaries, so 1.5 x 1.5 = 2.25" diameter for the secondaries.
But, 2.25" secondaries into the y-pipe: 2.25 x 1.5 = 3.37. Obviously, a 3-1/4" exhaust on a 200 would be ridiculous unless I was driving around at 8000rpm all the time. So, I ordered a y-pipe with 2.25 inlets and a 2.5 outlet. That way you still have a small diameter increase, but something more suitable for low-rpm street driving.

Not perfect, but it's a starting place.

Very nice work! Don't be concerned with the 2500rpm. Running 4:11's in my Bronco and it love's to cruise at 2750rpm@55mph. However, you may want something diff for your Ranchero, but you're not hurting the engine, gas mileage is another story.

Engine looks great. I'm sure its a big improvement over the previous mill.
I would have like to have seen a double roller timing chain that Mike sells, but otherwise looks great.
Enjoy it that is the best satisfaction after all the work & $$$$ you have done. Bill

Frankenstang":1oer12gm said:
Congrats :beer: Very nice work! Personally I don't think your exhaust collector looks that lame at all...very clean fab from what appears to be a collection of 'pieces' (you must have some experience welding ;) ). I'd be interested to hear how it sounds, if you have happen to have a clip.

Frankenstang, here is a video I whipped up. The last portion of the video has video footage of my motor running.

http://youtu.be/WTzJyCNXgKc

Yeah, a little chatter can be expected with a new disc and flywheel resurfacing. I bet it gets better with some driving. There is a 4 spring disc and a 6 spring disc available. I think the 4 springs is given to a bit more chatter...my 4 spring chattered a bit throught the first 100-500 miles IIRC...all gone now (although I probably put a 6 spring disc in when the time comes).

Thanks for the info.

AFAIK the 7.25's most common ratios were 3.2 (manual) & 2.79 (auto). Your 3.5 should work well with a bent8 T-5.

Thanks for the info on that too.

Curious so I gotta ask what's up with the 'tiki' motif decals...being over 40 it may just be a pop culture reference lost on me :LOL:

My car's theme is Late 60's Surfer / TIKI. The graphics you see under the hood are not decals but hand painted pices done by your's truely. I'm an illustrator so any chance I get to paint kick ass graphics I do it. There are many other parts of this car that have little images & paintings on it. My car is a Mild Kustom so I can get away with being wacky. BTW, I'm over 40 too.

Sweet ride 8) (y)

Thanks for the complaments!

falcon fanatic":1c9v0xrn said:
looks awesome and I love the car. You're right about the y-pipe, a bit short and those corrugated bends aren't doing you any favors. try going with secondaries about twice the length of the average of the primaries. You can get inexpensive mandrel bends and a mandrel bent y-pipe from mandrel bending solutions. For the best fit, though, you'll want to get a pair of custom bends to get the exact angle, which cost a bit more.

Actually, if you made that y-pipe contraption yourself then you are good to go with using the standard 45* bends. you can reuse your header adapters, get a pair of 45* bends, a y-pipe, and a piece of straight to cut to the right length. According to David Vizard, you should aim for the diameter of the secondaries to be primary diameter x 1.75. This is for a race application, though, and he has also demonstrated that it is worse to go too large than too small, so I am working with 1.5 as the multiplier for a street system. Keep this in mind when ordering your y-pipe as you may wish to have a larger outlet than the two inlets.

For example:
Cliffords header has 1.5" primaries, so 1.5 x 1.5 = 2.25" diameter for the secondaries.
But, 2.25" secondaries into the y-pipe: 2.25 x 1.5 = 3.37. Obviously, a 3-1/4" exhaust on a 200 would be ridiculous unless I was driving around at 8000rpm all the time. So, I ordered a y-pipe with 2.25 inlets and a 2.5 outlet. That way you still have a small diameter increase, but something more suitable for low-rpm street driving.

Not perfect, but it's a starting place.

Thanks for the great info. I will do that. I saw a great vid on a falcon w/ a new 200. He has pics of his down pipes and they look great. I know I can totally copy that idea. Welding it wond be that big of a dea.

I purchased my bends from the local parts store so that explains the wrinkles in the metal.

There is an exhaust shop I can get better looking stuff from, but I'll check out the site you mention. I'd rather do it right that do it three times.

:beer:

wsa111":3510idb4 said:
Engine looks great. I'm sure its a big improvement over the previous mill.
I would have like to have seen a double roller timing chain that Mike sells, but otherwise looks great.
Enjoy it that is the best satisfaction after all the work & $$$$ you have done. Bill

Thanks for the reminder to actually Enjoy it. I catch myself on the edge of my seat, hyper sensitive to every noise. But as time goes on I've begun to relax and have enjoyed it. Best of all ... this old tin is on the road getting noticed and I love that. :)

Who cleaned it and how? Dip tank? That is a waaay boss short. I love the stance too.

In regards the artwork under the hood of my 1962 Ranchero.

I've titled my Ranchero 'The Cursed Tiki'. It has a TIKI theme, kind of. On the dash of my Ranch I painted the 'Three Wise Tiki's' while my windshield was out.

3wisetikis.jpg

And I thought my car could use some good luck, so I did some research and found lots of good luck symbols. I then painted all of these good luck symbols onto the inside of my glove box. You'll never know their there.

glovebox.jpg

There are 23 symbols in all. See if you can name them. I'll give you 4 of them right now, because they arent really good luck symbols, they are the Heart, Club, Diamond and Spade. I liked them so I included them on my glove box.

Enjoy. :beer:

ludwig":1voofrs6 said:
Who cleaned it and how? Dip tank? That is a waaay boss short. I love the stance too.

I disasymbled the motor and took it down to Portland Engine Rebuilders in Portland Oregon. They tanked it, magnifluxed it and then performed several jobs from decking the head and block to fixing several threaded holes which had broken bolts stuck in the block.

You said "That is a waaay boss short." Short meaning shortblock??

The Ranch is dumped 3". The previous owner cut the front coils so it rides like a tank. I'm going to install lowering coils this winter and improove the ride quality. I also will replace ball joints and tie rods. Maybe do bushings while I'm down there too.

If any of you are interested in reading my thread on the entire rebuild of this car you can visit my thread on the HAMB. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254755

This forum is for motors only, so if you want to know more about my rusty floor boards, and other things that I've done to the car, please feel free to check out that 10 page thread. Lots of photos on that thread.

:beer:

Loving the car, you know we have a body/paint section for the other metal parts :). The pics in the hamb aren't working for me. You don't happen to be the hamber who rebuilt his 2.77 a while back are you? That was some good stuff, I will look up the thread tomorrow.

-ron
(displaced Oregonian, Buxton originally)

CoupeBoy":3eswrg3a said:
Loving the car, you know we have a body/paint section for the other metal parts :). The pics in the hamb aren't working for me. You don't happen to be the hamber who rebuilt his 2.77 a while back are you? That was some good stuff, I will look up the thread tomorrow.

-ron
(displaced Oregonian, Buxton originally)

Yeah, the pictures arent working for me either. I'll fix that and the thread will work in the next 1/2 hour. bare with me. Thanks for the heads up.

Back