62 Ranch gets 200 cubes ** pics **

Don't worry. We love the body work too. F6F isn't just about the plant.

A 'short' is a custom car. 'Boss' is means good or 'bitchin'. All Cali-speak from the 60s, appropriate for the vehicle.

woodbutcher":1r0xwfwk said:
:beer: Hi TDO.Nice video,and even nicer `Chero.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Thanks you Leo. I appreciate it.

It's funny, two years ago I wanted to sell it. I had just finished the floor boards, and painted it tan. I had it posted on Craigslist for $1200. One guy came out to drive it but he wanted a daily driver. Another guy wrote me several emails with lists of questions, what did you do here, what did you do there. When I finished answering all of his questions I had finally come to realize how much work I'd put into this car. I wrote the dude back and said I appreciate all your detailed questions, but the car is no longer for sale.

Since then I've done lots more to the car, built a motor (which I havent done in years, loved it) and have enjoyed every second of it. I'm so glad that no one bought it. I dodged the silver bullet.

ludwig":23ld028y said:
Don't worry. We love the body work too. F6F isn't just about the plant.

A 'short' is a custom car. 'Boss' is means good or 'bitchin'. All Cali-speak from the 60s, appropriate for the vehicle.

Thanks for the LINGO! I love it. I'll ad that to my vocab and see if I can get anyone asking me "What's a short?"

:beer:

Yes sir, that's a "Bitchin Chero" indeed (y) ...killer kustom & art work...it'd look right at home with a couple old longboards in the back 8) Many thanks for sharing the vid DropOut :cool:

Thanks for all the good vibes about my Ranch.

Long boards would be cool.

Once we get some sun arround here (Pacific North West, probbalby wont hapen) I'll take some better shots of the body and post in the body section here.

Have a good Memorial Day Weekend! Thanks to any vet who views this!

NICE Ranchero, I'm glad to see another '62! This makes 2 'new' ones in the last week on here, both getting 200's - Yay!

And don't worry about posting pics, info, etc about the body, interior, etc - we're not just about the engines, and this is the only place I post stuff about mine anymore. If you have any questions about ANY part of your Ranchero, post away - we're all glad to help.

3.50 rear gears were standard in Rancheros w/ the optional 170 engine. Mine was swapped out years ago for a 3.20 axle, and with the 200 and 3.03 3-speed I was able to fit the tallest tires I could under the rear to give it an "effective" 3.00 gearing, which with the 200's torque works well. Don't worry about the rpm, these engines will go all day long at 3500, although stock you're not going much over 4500, and there's no reason to go over 4000rpm. A different cam and tranny though, and it's a different story.

The_DropOut":2xu9ddol said:
Howdy.

Here are some pics of my 200ci build from beginning to end.

This is the first motor I've built in 20 years. I built it over the winter of '11/'12. Funny things that happed on this build were.

1. 1969 head has 1.75" fuel log bore. Single barrel carb spacers are rare as hens teeth, had to fab my own.
2. Ordered push rods 1" too short.
3. Installed lifters then forgot and spun motor (on rebuild stand) upside down. One lifter slid out of place but never fell to the floor (Thanks goodness).
4. Had machine shop deck my exhaust manifold. and on the day I got it back I found the stainless headers offered by FordSix and had to have them.

The lame-o exhaust collector you see pictured here is soon to change. I had no clue what to do so I whipped this up. But after reading several good posts on exhaust ( on this forum ) I have some great ideas.

Enjoy.

Thanks.

Both the 200 and the '62 are looking great! Those stainless steel headers really add the finishing touch to the engine! I wish I had picked up some of those while I was rebuilding my 200. I have Pacemaker (Australian) headers, in good condition but with surface rust.

Just finished rebuilding mine, and with my 3.50 gears I'm also getting used to the RPM ranges for different speeds. Still tuning my Holley 1946 / Duraspark setup, but think I will upgrade both (in fact, I've already decided on an Autolite 2100 2V for now; if I feel there are still more performance gains to be had, may upgrade to a Weber 32/36 later). I have a Clay Smith cam but I think it's functionally equivalent to yours.

Bob the Builder

62Ranchero200 said:
Both the 200 and the '62 are looking great! Those stainless steel headers really add the finishing touch to the engine! I wish I had picked up some of those while I was rebuilding my 200. I have Pacemaker (Australian) headers, in good condition but with surface rust.

Just finished rebuilding mine, and with my 3.50 gears I'm also getting used to the RPM ranges for different speeds. Still tuning my Holley 1946 / Duraspark setup, but think I will upgrade both (in fact, I've already decided on an Autolite 2100 2V for now; if I feel there are still more performance gains to be had, may upgrade to a Weber 32/36 later). I have a Clay Smith cam but I think it's functionally equivalent to yours.

Bob the Builder

Thanks Bob. Do you have a thread with pics on your motor? We’d all love to see it.

I didn’t know much about two barrels, so I went with a large single. Once I get to know the motor and the car with the new motor, I might consider moving up a barrel.

I know what you mean about the three speed. Sort of odd but it gets along. I have 3.50 final drive gears too. I’ve been reading up on 4 speeds. If I could find one of those Granada trannies with the 3rd gear over drive I’d snatch one up in a second. Actually I havent started looking for one yet.

Thanks for the cudos everyone.

jamyers":1w547tsm said:
NICE Ranchero, I'm glad to see another '62! This makes 2 'new' ones in the last week on here, both getting 200's - Yay!

And don't worry about posting pics, info, etc about the body, interior, etc - we're not just about the engines, and this is the only place I post stuff about mine anymore. If you have any questions about ANY part of your Ranchero, post away - we're all glad to help.

3.50 rear gears were standard in Rancheros w/ the optional 170 engine. Mine was swapped out years ago for a 3.20 axle, and with the 200 and 3.03 3-speed I was able to fit the tallest tires I could under the rear to give it an "effective" 3.00 gearing, which with the 200's torque works well. Don't worry about the rpm, these engines will go all day long at 3500, although stock you're not going much over 4500, and there's no reason to go over 4000rpm. A different cam and tranny though, and it's a different story.

What did you get the 3.20 gears from?? Or did you actually swap the entire axle? If you did swap the axle what did you get it from? Do you still have four lugs?

Have you ever heard of, seen or read about the 4 speed out of the Granada!!

**Ford Grandada 4 speed w/ 3rd gear as over drive 1977-1978 only
1st - 3.29
2nd - 1.84
3rd - 1.00
4th - .81
rev - 3.29

4th gear is overdrive, but if you were to take the trans apart you’d find that 3rd gear is actually the over drive gear, so the shift pattern is different I guess!

The crappy thing is that they seem to only be offered from 77-78. That should make them hard to find. The fact that their in a Granada should make it even harder to find. I don’t think they were too popular, especially with a stick.

Thanks much.

Sorry it took so long to reply, Summer Camp is finally over and I've got time to breathe again...

The original 3.50 axle died years ago, Dad swapped in the 3.20 from a wrecking yard, I have no idea what it came out of, and yes it's still 4-lug.

I've heard/read about the Granada overdrive, saw one in a local wrecking yard a couple years ago (shoulda snagged it, but didn't).

I think it was offered in vehicles other than just Granadas, iirc it's called either a RAN or RUG overdrive, and it's based on the Ford Toploader 4-speed. They monkeyed around with the 3-4 gears inside the casing and somehow got a 3-speed + OD. There are a couple of Toploader rebuilder websites that discuss it...

I was thinking about going that route, but I decided to keep the 3OTT shifter, staying more stock-appearing.

i bet the 3 speed with overdrive out of a ford truck would work they were fairly lightweight aluminum case. maybey the same as the granada not sure but the one im talking about has reverse up next to first gear i had an 83 f150 with one in it you would probably just have to change the shifter for a car

Back