degreeing a cam - how to adjust the "key"

aribert

THe camshaft sprocket is located via a dowel pin that is pressed into the end of the cam. I have heard of ofset machined keys for traditional key retained camshaft sprockets. So to those of you that have adjusted the cam timing - what did you do? I imagine filing material off of one side - what did you do to add material on the opposite side? And if you did not add material opposite of where you filed the pin, are you not concerned that the cam sprocket could slip?

While we are on the cam degreeing subject: I intended to degree the cam prior to installing the head. I was unable to get consistant downward pressure on the lifters (and I was not willing to allow the dial indicator to ride directly on the cam lobe (did that on my Triumph engine a few years ago and the indicator tip slipped off and the cam sheared the tip off before I realized it)). So I am planning on degreeing the cam with the head and lifters installed. What do I need to watch out for (proceedure wise)? Am I correct in understanding that advancing the cam improves low end torque at the expense of power at high RPM?

The only way you can advance/retard the cam timing is with a multi-keyway crank gear(never file or grind the keyway slot or key). Offset keys are possible if they are available for your engine. Or by using an off-center dowel bushing on the cam gear if enough material is in the cam gear to drill for the OD of the bushing.

Assuming you have a 200 or smaller engine. Classic Inlines sells a multi-indexed roller timing chain for your engine.

Just use that and you can set your cam timing up properly.

If you have a 250...you're screwed! Or you can do some fabrication work and make a SBF timing set work. But it's not easy!
Later,
Will

I was using a CI double roller chain.
It got kind of loose and needed replacement.
I went with a stock gear set and chain and compared the two sets.
Physically the gears and chain are the same.
Using an offset keyway is no different than using a stock gearset and advancing the cam by one or two teeth.
This is what I have done and have been running for a while.
Advancing a stock gearset by one tooth is the same as 2 degrees on the multi-keyway gear.

JackFish":1zcm4w3a said:
Using an offset keyway is no different than using a stock gearset and advancing the cam by one or two teeth.
This is what I have done and have been running for a while.
Advancing a stock gearset by one tooth is the same as 2 degrees on the multi-keyway gear.

I thought moving the set a full tooth was considerably more than 2 degrees (like 3x that or more) :unsure::

Back