Flex fan,clutch fan or electric fan?

30over200

So.my 200 still has the 4 blade factory fan. Just curious if changing to either a flex or clutch fan would have any noticeable effect on mpg? Or should I bite the bullet and go to.a electric set up?

the heck w/the Mav :eek: That's a heck ofa truck if 4WD...highboy!
Sorry....

Lol no she aint a high boy but used to.have a 79 4x4 4speed with a 300 that I.kick.myself for letting go of.

:unsure: Both a Factory Flex & Clutch fan would help for sure, a clutch type (thermostatic) is the best of those two :!: but if your up to the extra install work you likely would gain even more out of the electric fan setup and if you also have the electrical output to handle it. :nod:

just be careful with those flex fans ive seen a few of em come apart. saw one break while a guy was under the hood he had to get 50 stitches in his face it was awful

Honestly, I don't recommend the flex fan. Mine worked great, but they are loud...and I mean loud. It looked nice, but I took it off after a month. I like quiet engines.

8) if you do get a flexfan, get the plastic one form flex-i-lite. understand however that they are loud, especially at highway speeds. personally i would go with an electric fan instead. it takes a load off the engine.

I haven't used a clutch fan, mainly because of space is tight, but out of the others, I really like my electric fan. you'll feel such a difference on the pedal and acceleration.

I found a 3wire 100 amp alt that plugs into our wiring on ebay for $80, that covered any concerns I had about electric load.

Yea I knew of a fellow that was killed by a flex fan aluminum bladr came loose and went into his chest. kinda leaning towards electric but was thinking clutch fan would be easyer lol I been getting lazy. I read on here about somebody running a tauras alt for increased output

An electric is best for mpg, followed by any type of clutch fan. The power for an electric fan shouldn't be too big a drain on the system if its up to par, but if you have an older 45 amp alternator, it might struggle to keep up at idle speeds. Upgrading to a three wire GM style alternator is easy but you will lose the ammeter function on early Mustangs. There are higher capacity early-style Ford alternators that plug in and are a worthwhile upgrade.

Aside from hp losses, flex fans and fixed-steel fans are noisy, too.

Back