Running Rough

Sorry to see this, yet glad you found the problem.

I would suggest you look at each piston ring end. See if there are any shiny ends where they may have rubbed against each other from expansion. Just a long shot idear

how bad is the bore on that cylinder! And that looks a lot like the #6 piston when I rebuilt my engine.

mugsy":ms9825dz said:
how bad is the bore on that cylinder! And that looks a lot like the #6 piston when I rebuilt my engine.
The cylinder looks fine...the ring land was still intact when I removed the piston so nothing got scored.

Gene, from past experience if you remove a piston from its bore, i recommend replacing the rings in the cylinders you removed the pistons.
I have removed pistons before & reinstalled them, but apparently the rings find there own position & have had oil burning if i don't replace the rings.
In other words if you pull all the pistons replace the rings. Bill

wsa111 said:
Gene, from past experience if you remove a piston from its bore, i recommend replacing the rings in the cylinders you removed the pistons.
I have removed pistons before & reinstalled them, but apparently the rings find there own position & have had oil burning if i don't replace the rings.
In other words if you pull all the pistons replace the rings. Bill

With new rings does the bore have to be re-honed? The rings in my engine are junk and the engine has about 3K miles on it. If all it needs is new rings that's different than a ring and a hone job.

tanx!

Mugsy, depends what kind of rings you are going to use.
Cast iron, hone with 380 grit+
Plasma moly, plateau hone with a 500 brush, cause with that type of ring you want the bore as slick as possible.
Doing this will prevent a possible oil burner.
Make sure you allow plenty of end gap, so make sure you check that measurement. Bill

If budget is good and the fact you race and may not see stress on other pistons, I would change all the pistons and rings, the first time I spun a rod on the blown bronco I had an extra .001 ground on the crank and have not had an issue since, also the wrist pins had got tight on some of the pistons, so I lightly put a brake hone thru each piston to creat a cross hatch and I think it helped with oiling. I hate it when stuff breaks and hate to hear about, I have my first race this weekend and I hope all holds together.

On the bogger I totally eliminated high rpm blowby by getting a breather with a 5/8 nipple, on the cheap ones you will need to silicone the bottom crimp, then get some soft 1/2 inch copper and route it to the headers with a smog pump check valve in the system.

You will & i will let Gene tell the rest after some strip testing,

Gene Fiore":2jpng5ow said:
I got my engine put back together and dropped it in today. Now just need to hook everything up!! :D

Good news to hear , Gene.

Did you stay with same parts combo or make a few minor changes?

Pretty much the same...just ball honed all the cylinders and installed new rings and rod bearings and eliminated my oil sucking pcv valve. Made some more mods to the carb too.

Gene Fiore":1wwn5kei said:
Pretty much the same...just ball honed all the cylinders and installed new rings and rod bearings and eliminated my oil sucking pcv valve. Made some more mods to the carb too.

You gonna richen up the carb a little bit?

Crosley":3nljh963 said:
Gene Fiore":3nljh963 said:

Yes I will be...plus I sent it to the carb shop and had their pro billet annular boosters installed, adjustable fuel and air bleeds installed and had the throttle shafts thinned. Should run better.

Crosley":3njez9yp said:

Gene Fiore":3njez9yp said:
Yes I will be...plus I sent it to the carb shop and had their pro billet annular boosters installed, adjustable fuel and air bleeds installed and had the throttle shafts thinned. Should run better.

Kool, sounds good.

Here I was feeling good about the fresh air system I built for my Falcon. You had some serious work on the carb..

Should get some air into your engine now. :mrgreen:

This is what Gene had done to the carb. The large annular nozzles blocked too much air flow & created too much signal & high rpms.
I installed this combination several months ago on my 205 engine & the engine responded as i expected.
I guess it raised the power curve up another 400 rpms.
On a mild build the larger annular nozzles still work better. They create more signal using a large carb on a small engine. Bill
Holley7448-350001Custom.jpg

4412-500an-vendia004SmallCustom.jpg

Back