Connecting rods, forged or what?

First Fox

Probably a stupid question here, but does anyone have any way of distinguishing the different types of con rod material for the 200? According to Mike's writeup they came in a variety of materials from the early 70's on. I have an engine torn down and need to know if I should look for another set of rods from an earlier engine if these are not forged as this engine will be turbocharged.

Any pics of forged vs iron vs whatever rods or casting numbers would be awesome. :beer:

Thanks in advance

8) a forged rod will have a wide parting line down the side of the rod as compared to a narrow one for cast rods.

OK, I am familiar with that ID process from crankshafts. Thanks for the idea, and after noting that, I realize they are cast. :( Guess I will have to look for a set of forgings.

Anything pre 72 sound right? How about a set of rods from a four main engine, are these the same dimensions? They seem to be pretty common and I believe they are all forged.

8) yep the rods from say a 64 170 would be forged and will interchange with later 144-200 sixes.

Anyone know a ballpark year that ford stopped using the forged rods? I would love to have a clear date to work with so there is no misunderstanding on the parts.

hello all,

anybody know if this is forged or normal rod?

I have a 200 from 1966, but have this rods.

Thaks

Yeah, those rods are forged, but those particular forgings are known to be be problematic and have been known to even fall apart while being photographed. Their integrity has now most likely been compromised and in the interests of safety and world peace, those rods should be sent to me for disposal.

Just send me a PM for my address. :nod:

Must have lost something in the translation. Your rods are fine man, the only problem is my stupid American sense of humor. Good luck to you on your build! :beer:

First Fox":3exh2v00 said:
Must have lost something in the translation. Your rods are fine man, the only problem is my stupid American sense of humor. Good luck to you on your build! :beer:

No problem, my English is the problem :d

Thanks

Yes
They are the forged rods about as good as you can get in stock parts, you can ad the ARP rod bolts, polish, and shot peen, them though.

I had the set of rods from my 1962 170 engine cryogenic treated. It was easy since we already send parts in for treatment a few times a year

Back