I opened pandoras box

fx2nut

Long story short, had some fuel issues that are in the process of being fixed with new tank, sending unit, pump, and rebuilding the 1940 Holley.

Then as I was doing that I decided to check out the brakes because it was pulling to one side in hard braking (drums all around on 13's. That has yielded the need to get everything new on the rear, shoes, drums, cylinders, etc.

As I was trying to straighten the exhaust up from a bad leak, I broke the manifold. After removing the manifold notice someone did a "expletive" fix job on manifold previously. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I've been there,hell,we've all been at one point....just sit back & try to take it easy for a bit :wrench: :) . ~OO6.

The problem with fixing one weak link is that when you test the repairs to find out if they hold, you end up breaking the next weak link.

It's worth it though, eventually you get to the point where you're not breaking something every time you take it out.

Had a couple days, going to my donor falcon to pull the manifold off of it tonight. I think it has the later manifold that is better than the early ones. Still thinking about a slip manifold and new exhaust all the way back.

Brake parts are on their way, and fuel system is most of the way complete. Waiting to bolt down the tank until i figure out what I'm doing on the exhaust. Got the carb kit in the mail yesterday. If things go better I'll still be able to make the falcon nats in July and the NSRA Nats in August :beer:

And you'll get a bunch of that stuff all hooked up and running nice. And at some point you'll say to yourself, "You know, this is working just fine right now. Maybe I"ll just drive it like this for a while." And then maybe two or three years from now there will be a note with the sig of fx2nut that he has a Xxxxxxx for sale, "new in box".

the "fix" job someone did on the manifold
010vyv.jpg

my 2 piece manifold
009lzf.jpg

top of tank, truck bed liner setting in car
006nft.jpg

bottom of tank
001kp.jpg

That manifold isn't unusual. NFG but not unusual.

I had a salvage manifold that I sent to a guy here on the forum. He could have it for free, I just wanted shipping for it,.

Okay, it had a little crack. I knew that. He sent me a pic showing a little hairline crack at one of the flanges.

Well, it worked just fine, I told him, and the crack closed once it was warm. He said he didn't want it. Would I pay him to send it back.

Nah. You can keep it. If I'm not using it and it's not good enough for you, why would I want to pay for it twice?

If you are that guy, you might send a PM to fx2nut and he will get my money's worth out of it.

ludwig":2z32ir6j said:
That manifold isn't unusual. NFG but not unusual.

I had a salvage manifold that I sent to a guy here on the forum. He could have it for free, I just wanted shipping for it,.

Okay, it had a little crack. I knew that. He sent me a pic showing a little hairline crack at one of the flanges.

Well, it worked just fine, I told him, and the crack closed once it was warm. He said he didn't want it. Would I pay him to send it back.

Nah. You can keep it. If I'm not using it and it's not good enough for you, why would I want to pay for it twice?

If you are that guy, you might send a PM to fx2nut and he will get my money's worth out of it.

Thanks, but i have a 200 that i'm going to take the manifold off of and use

Any updates on the fix?

Every time I get into my car I discover some new tricks that the Car Gods have played on me. I think they just want to see how deep my pockets are. When I tap out I have do things to my car that dont cost anything but take time.

Currently I just fixed an oil pressure issue and now the fuel gauge doesnt work. hahahaha. :beer:

The_DropOut":lqoixj3m said:
Any updates on the fix?

Every time I get into my car I discover some new tricks that the Car Gods have played on me. I think they just want to see how deep my pockets are. When I tap out I have do things to my car that dont cost anything but take time.

Currently I just fixed an oil pressure issue and now the fuel gauge doesnt work. hahahaha. :beer:

Well lets see....ran some fuel through the system last night and have a small leak on the inlet to it from the fuel line. Going to fix that tonight. Going to my donor falcon tonight that has a 64 200 CI in it this weekend to try to pull the manifold off that and see what it looks like. Running out of money for this month to buy one. So if it doesn't work, I'll be down for another month. Have to change the hookup for the gauge on the sending unit, new will not work with the old. Guess that's about it. :beer:

car is alive, ran last night. still some work to do have to seal the tank and screw it down, fix the exhaust. had to cut it before the muffler, but it runs :beer: :D :beer: :D

Back