Resurrected Build

blaze65

After a few years, a engine rebuild that took almost 10 months to get back, and more help from this forum that I can even begin to mention , I am finally starting to get my build back on track. Picked up the engine, after a long wait, a week back. Engine has been rebuilt , decked / , bored .0030 over, Comp
260H cam, Valve job / new valves (it already had the larger valves), adjustable hydraulic rockers, 302 springs, pistons, rotating assembly balanced, etc. I told the shop I wanted about 9:1 compression and they say that is what it will do. Also had the CI Autolite 2100 adapter plate milled into the intake, 2100 has been rebuilt (by a carb shop) and leaned a little. Also have CI coated stainless headers and CI Duraspark II Distrib/ignition that will be bolted on.

So everything is apart and I am a DIY'er and trying to figure out where to start. Car is out to get the interior and possibly the exterior painted and when it gets back I will start the assembly. Again everything is apart so I will just 'jump in' . I am sure I will have several more posts / questions but will start with these.

1 - on the stock Thermostat housing there is a 3 port vacuum adapter / connection screwed into the housing. Do I still need this or can I plug it up ?

2 - My hope was to someday but a T5 behind this but $$ being what they are I have to wait. I don't want to go the boneyard route for fear I spend $300-$400 on something that doesn't work or needs overhauled. Was looking at a full Modern Driveline type of solution but that comes in around the $2K range and then I have to change out the rearend gears, etc. (should have mentioned I have already replaced the rear with a Mustang 5 lug 2.79 8 Inch). Question is - I have two 3 speeds, a 2.77 and a 3.03. I believe the 3.03 is a synchro and I would like to try and leave this 3 speed in the driveline/car for at least a year of so. Question is will that 3.03 work (gear wise) with the 2.79 rear.

Many thanks as always
Bill

blaze65":szxxxk7l said:
1 - on the stock Thermostat housing there is a 3 port vacuum adapter / connection screwed into the housing. Do I still need this or can I plug it up ?

You should be able to. What are you installing the engine in?

blaze65":szxxxk7l said:
2 - My hope was to someday but a T5 behind this but $$ being what they are I have to wait. I don't want to go the boneyard route for fear I spend $300-$400 on something that doesn't work or needs overhauled. Was looking at a full Modern Driveline type of solution but that comes in around the $2K range and then I have to change out the rearend gears, etc. (should have mentioned I have already replaced the rear with a Mustang 5 lug 2.79 8 Inch). Question is - I have two 3 speeds, a 2.77 and a 3.03. I believe the 3.03 is a synchro and I would like to try and leave this 3 speed in the driveline/car for at least a year of so. Question is will that 3.03 work (gear wise) with the 2.79 rear.

If the engine block is a 66 or after, you should be able to use the 3.03 transmission; this transmission would hold up better to your mods than the 2.77.
As for the 2.79 rear end, it depends on the weight of the vehicle you have, and the diameter of your rear tires. 2.79 with a standard transmission is pretty tall. You might be able to get away with it for awhile. It should give you better gas mileage.

Thanks for the reply. Engine is going in a 65 Mustang. The engine is a 68 Block with a 75 Head. So does it sound like I get discard that vacuum port adapter?

On the trans while I have heard the term I am not sure what is meant by 'Tall'. do you think the 3.03 will work for a year or so ?

blaze65":22cnm7dx said:
sound like I get discard that vacuum port adapter

You can. What that is for is to switch from ported vacuum to manifold vacuum to the distributer when the engine begins to overheat. I would use it.

blaze65":22cnm7dx said:
do you think the 3.03 will work for a year or so

Yes. My main ride is a 69.5mav with a 2.83 rear and a 3 speed (170/6). I have been driving it since 1980 with no problems. Had it to AZ twice in the 80's, one round trip towing a trailer. You should of heard it sing going up the "grapevine" in second gear at 50 MPH.

This is one tough car.

:) In my late 20's I spent many a summer under an old Mav. That car just would not die.

On the Thermostat vacuum adapter Did you mean I 'Can' discard it, or should I use it.

Thanks again

You can discard it but if you do I would suggest running manifold vacuum instead of ported vacuum.

blaze65":36m8wjuc said:
On the trans while I have heard the term I am not sure what is meant by 'Tall'. do you think the 3.03 will work for a year or so ?

The term "Tall" refers to the rear axle ratio, not the transmission. Any ratio around the 3.00 range would be considered "Tall", anything above 3.60 would be considered "Low".

69.5Mav is correct, I forgot the Mavericks with inline sixes and three speeds came with 2.89 or 3.00 ratios. You should be OK with them.

where are you located? I have a T5 sitting here I could part with for pretty reasonable. I just went through it and put in new bearings and syncros. it is a world class 2.3L box. If you already have a 3.03 setup all you will need is an adaptor plate and driveshaft to make it work. you will need to trim the floor opening and it would be a good time to do it if you are having the interior redone in it.

give me a shout if you need a little help on the swap.

The 2.3L T-5 would work fairly well with your 2.89 rear end. I'm planning to use one of these T-5s with a 3.00 rear end.

The 2.3L T-5 transmission has a 3.97 first gear and 0.79 OD, whereas the V8 T-5 typically has a 3.35 first gear and 0.68 OD.

A 2.3L T-5 with a 2.89 rear end would have the same effective gearing as a V8 T-5 with a 3.40 rear end.

Back