High volume oil pump

Nobody makes one (yet). Do you have a real need for a high volume pump?

The Melling replacement pump works pretty well and the relief can be shimmed for more pressure if you need it. More volume only adds more strain to the distributor drive gear and the pump shaft, especially when the engine is cold.

Well this is what's happening, Cold idle is at 25 psi and at 60mph it's 42 psi. When it warms up, I get 18 psi idle and 38 psi at 60 mph. What do you think Jack?

That sounds like adequate pressure. 10 psi / 1000 rpm is the rule of thumb. If you need more pressure, you could shim the relief valve with a washer.

I understand JP Performance make one down here. But I would oppose it's use in almost all situations - that's a lot of load on the dizzy drive.

Regards, Adam.

Aaah... The bold and valiant leaps of assumption, crossing the boundaries of possibility. :oops:

All Ive ever heard about High volume oil pumps in a 250 is all bad. Dont know why people use em, they pump too much oil at high rpm. Oh and I wouldnt use one if you cant bolt it in, they dont do the engine much good if they are loose in there

Hi-volume oil pumps are not necessary in the average street driven I6. Maybe in an engine cranking 6 - 8k+rpm for long periods of time (NASCAR, F1, CART, IRL, etc.) where keeping journals and bearings cool is essential to longevity, but not a daily driver street car. As long as you have 10psi per 1000rpm, that's sufficient pressure to keep things happy. Even if one were available, personally, I'd never use one with the stock capacity oil pan.

Follow Jack's advice if you need to increase oil pressure. Remember, if you have low oil pressure, and you know your oil pump is in good condition, then you have too much bearing clearance. Shimming a known good pump and/or using a hi-volume pump won't fix that.

Only use High Volume if you have a brass distributor drive gear. Other wise you will tear up the cam and the gear. Working at CLifford's I learned a lot from Jack Clifford and that is one of the things that sticks with me. Remeber bigger or more is not always better. Like the other Jack said, more pressure is fine. At Clifford's we used to take new Melling Oil Pumps and blueprint them out for high pressure. If there was enough interest I could do that again. I know what Melling numbers are needed and I can blueprint the new pumps. But like I said only if there is a big call for it.....

Back