Need info ASAP please!

Anlushac11

1K+
VIP
A friend got OK to take my Mustang to a friends house who has a fully equipped shop to see if we can finish getting my Mustang together.

Im OMW now to where Mustang is to bolt C4 and 200 together so we can drop motor in and get Mustang towed to the shop.

The questions are...

1) What are the torque specs for the flexplate bolts on back of the crank

2)What are torque specs for bolts that bolt flexplate to torque converter.

3)Do I need thread sealer on the crank bolts? Im not at engine ATM so I wont know till I get to where motor is.

TY in advance for any help

Anlushac11":1o9putat said:
A friend got OK to take my Mustang to a friends house who has a fully equipped shop to see if we can finish getting my Mustang together.

Im OMW now to where Mustang is to bolt C4 and 200 together so we can drop motor in and get Mustang towed to the shop.

The questions are...

1) What are the torque specs for the flexplate bolts on back of the crank

2)What are torque specs for bolts that bolt flexplate to torque converter.

3)Do I need thread sealer on the crank bolts? Im not at engine ATM so I wont know till I get to where motor is.

TY in advance for any help

Because its you.... ;)

From http://au.5earch.com/?s=flywheel+bolt+t ... pQodrnsAZA

1) Torque bolts to 50 ft. lb.

2) Same as the C4 bellhousing nuts, tighten them to 35 ft lbs and start a nut on the torque converter stud. Run nut down but do not tighten. Rotate crank and install the next converter nut, repeat until you have all 4 started, then torque to 35 ft lbs.

3)Use, Ford supply a sealer for manual bolts, also used on Ford Explorer and 8.8" diff bolts. You can use GM thread sealer. It only needs a dab.

4)Install starter to complete the job. Use the short (2.850” overall length) starter drive from a late 70ʼs Fairmont 6 cylinder engine. On starter motors with three mounting bolts, torque the bolts to between 12 and 15 ft pounds. Later models carry different bolts, and they are often over torqued, so go on the light side.

I wish you all the best, brother, take it easy and enjoy it.

Thanks,

On my way back over there now. The parts store actually carries starter for 1981 Mustang with 200/c4 which is what my combo came out of.

I got some blue Loctite for the torque converter bolts, friend was out of thread sealer so I have to pick some up on way over there.

TY again for info. Just hoping C4 is still good.

Lucky stuff. The prospect of the engine being high or low mount is governed by providence, nothing more.

My C3 equiped 1981 engine has the high mount E1BF-11131-BA 1981 starter. It is very squat and fat, but shorter than the 1960 to 1980 versions, with the squat 2.85" long snout. Its specific to the 81 to 83 4 1/8th inch football converter cars, but should be able to retrofit. If it has an EOBE-9430-AB exhast, and a high mount block, it HAS to have the specific 1981 to 1983 spec starter. If you change to the common earlier iron 1.75 or 2.125 exhast manifold, you won't pass the visual inspection if the smog nazi is doing his job, but a lot of people hate the fat converter exhast, and ditching it allows you to use any 3 bolt starter used on the earlier 136 teeth automatic engines. The extra teeth on the C3 auto doesn't cause any problems if using an earlier starter and custom exhast.

My B-code IJ204 blue high mount has a 1981 D6BE 6015 GE engine casting. By the time the last X-code 1983 92 hp engine was sold, the same high mount block was a E1BE 6015 FA casting. Only problem is you can't find the code except that you remove the cat converter, which is a proper pain in the butt to do.

I'm not sure if the E1BF-11131-BA starter isn't for the X-code CJ232 engine with the E1BE-6015-BB block casting, always a Grey low mount engine. Looking at Lincs 200, where his grey E1BE 6015 BB block is used, the low mount uses a stock V8/V6 starter.

His starter is totally different to the 1981-1983 High mount, and has no heat shield with the really compact solenoid

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/ ... 8f6cea.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/ ... 277a0a.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/ ... tegate.jpg

The 1981 starter is way shorter than the X-flow Falcon 3.3/4.1, the non cross flow 250 2V, the US or Aussie log heads, the 2.8 Cologne V6 which shares the same 138 tooth flexplate, shorter than the Pinto 2000 starter...

Back