Cylinder Head ID

1bad6t

Looking over a cylinder head that I got from a friend today…I noticed the engineer/casting number to be 14 E BE-6090-BB. A quick comparison it to my D3 250 head with a micrometer…the valve size, combustion chamber and carburetor bore appears the same. Only difference I see different between the two is the vacuum port hole in the center of the log is larger and a boss casted between #1 and #2 intake runner which has a hex plug. Question is- What year head do I have? Could this odd casting number be designated to an industrial engine like an air compressor or pump? What’s up with the port on the front end of the intake?

14-E-BE-BB.jpg

intake-boss.jpg

Too easy.

Its an early E0BE head. Either someone at the Cleveland plant took an early break and forgot to affix the zer0, or the engineering team ordered it to be cast without the 0. It will be a 1980 engine, with the early emissions system. D7BE-6090-AB's like on Fairmont 200's from 1978 to 1980 had the vac take off where the carb is, on the side, and an alloy spacer for under the carb EGR.

Here's mine

0F18 E0BE 6090 BB, stock on my 1981 Mustang

Head was cast on June 18, 1980!

It's got the side mounted twin studs for integrated EGR?. If it does, its for a later 1981 to 1983 head for a Fox application.

Ford had an empty box philosphy. As long as the emission package was right for the year, they could probably get away with a transitional casting with the next years fittings blocked off.

Now, you can drop me a 0 and I'll raise you an X...
XEOBE6090BB.jpg

Thanks for the reply. Let's say it was time for the guy to hit the clock instead of early lunch...it sounds better. Here is a pic of the vacuum port. I also notice I will be loosing the "High Rise" intake with this head, but this head has only 2000 miles with all new parts.

hiriise6.jpg

The E"Blank"BE 6090-BB head you have is just like my 1981 E0BE 6090-BB Mustang head in every way except color and the fact that they put blanking plugs on the EGR tie down bolts and front vac take off. Its a stock B and X code 3.3 head, or the stock C-code 4.1 head found on the last leaf sprung axle Granadas.

To use it, remove the blank off plug at the front on the top of the manifold at number 1 and 2, and use it. Or go to a hydraulic engineer, and retap the EGR hole to suit the earlier vac tee for a D3 head. Your E"Blank"BE 6090-BB head won't take the stock early to late seventies vac ports because the EGR was integrated into the head for these post 1980 heads.

The hex plugs above the exhast passage is where two studs were employed to hold the interasted EGR on the E0 head.

Its a nice head, has a lot of good features, but you'll have to adapt the vac fittings so it suits your application

I had no problem using a bushing to adapt my vacuum tree. I don't think it had an internal EGR or if it did it is gone now. The inside of the intake looks the same as the D3 head. If you are saying the EGR bolted on the outside of the intake...then someone already tapped threads for the vacuum tree when it was milled .070” and had stainless steel valves installed. Unless SS valves were factory installed(?)

vacport.jpg

Back