Gaskets - Detroit High Performance - Any Information ?

powerband

2K+
VIP
I have a 250 with build specs listing: "Detroit High Performance " Gasket set, probably built in early 90's (?). Any info on the Detroit head gaskets etc. ... appreciated. Trying to add up CR ... ( it's red )

thanks

Have not used them though, I would think they were of a decent quality and at least use to be made in USA. Think they were in business for many years in Detroit area at least back in the 1940's don't know much about them after 2000. Below is an article on gasket types that were being made at that time and comments of manufactures reps it might shed some light on them. You might try FTF or another site member from that area they may have or know someone that still has the Detroit G. catalogs. Good luck

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article ... aling.aspx

clifford back in the day pushed them, probably as good as any for a common build, although felpro is quite a leader these days, my detroit used on two different sixes never gave any problems in the late 80's.

Thanks for the responses,

... just trying to find out if Detroit High-Performance head gasket was typical composite thickness (Fel-Pro / Victor @ .045-.055 ) or thinner-not-currently-made if head is R & R .

Have Fun

@ .025 "steel shim" gaskets widely available for 144/170 ONLY : ...

Powerband:

I bought a "house branded" gasket set for my 200 from Rock Auto a couple of years ago - was a closeout. The contents were Detroit Gasket - I do not remember if they were labled as high perf. THe head gasket was about 0.055 or even a couple of thou thicker. Finally swapped the cam and had the head rebuilt this spring. Only have about 2000 miles on it at this time.

Back